Crib question?

I have a friend whose son is still in a crib and hes 3 close to 4.. Well my 3 year old is in a toddler bed along with my 18 month old .. I have friends telling me my baby shouldnt be in a toddler bed.. That he should still be in a crib but he does better in the toddler bed he sleeps all night when he wouldnt in the crib.. and he was trying to climb out of it.. Was it too early? The only problem that i have with him is the fact that he will play with his toys and make a mess with them but he doesnt know any better so thats not really a problem..

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I put my youngest in a toddler bed at 14 months old she is 3 now and has been in the climbing stage since 18 months so she probably would be crawliung out by now better yet I know she would be. My oldest is almost 6 now and she went into a toddelr bed at 11 months just cause I couldn't wait to put her in one lol. I would think at 3 almost 4 they would be to heavy to put in a crib
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Well if your ok with it and your 18 month old doesn't get out of his room, then I think it is fine.
    My dd is 2 and my kids all slept FANTASTIC in a crib....so why would I change that if it's working.
    Also, we live in a tri-level and I get scared if she wakes up, half asleep and would fall down the stairs...yes, I could put a gate up.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think there's any sort of age where you need to have the child out of the crib or still in the crib. Obviously there are safety issues to address whether it's kids trying to climb out of a crib, or kids being able to get up out of bed and possibly get hurt in a dark house. But if your kid is happy and sleeping well in either a bed or a crib then I think that's fine. My dd is 2 1/2 and still in her crib. She just hasn't figured out that she could easily climb out. But she still rolls around in bed a ton at night, and she likes to have her feet or head up against the crib slats so I don't know that she would make the adjustment to a bed that well and I see no need to rush it. On the other hand, had she crawled out at 18 months and seemed ready for a bed I would have had no problem moving her to one. I think it really just depends on what works for the kid in question.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No. He's not too young to be in a toddler bed. My oldest was in a Twin sized bed by the time she was18 months old. We had to make room for her little brother in the crib. She did fine. Plus (as sounds like your case) some kids just sleep better when they're not caged in. No worries mommy.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT! If your 18 month old sleeps all night in a toddler bed, that's wonderful, just make sure the room is baby proof of course, and that there is a gate at the door. Baby monitor in place and your good to go! Don't let anyone make you second guess how you do things as a mom. If it didn't feel right you wouldn't have done it!
    momof3sboys

Answer by momof3sboys at 7:41 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My baby was never in a crib, she's 17 months old in a twin bed now and does just fine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2011