Do you think people can really "speak in tongues"?

A girl I know thinks she can speak in tongue. I don't get it.

pookiekins34

Asked by pookiekins34 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No. There is no need for a 'secret' language between you and God.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Anyone can babble and call it speaking in tongues...kind of hard to prove a "language" that only 'god' understands...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I remember a CM'er whose not around anymore asking this once because she overheard someone before the service telling certain people what cue during the service meant it was time for them to fall down and speak in tongues. It left her really disillusioned with the whole thing, not just the speaking in tongues aspect of it.

People may believe it, and for whatever reason, chemical, neurological or spiritual, it may really happen once in a while, but I doubt it happens nearly as often as the show is put on at all the churches across the land.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, but I think many of the churches that practice this are wrong about how they do it. Every church I've been to where the congregation speaks in tongues has gone against what's written in the Bible: 1 corinthians 14

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two--or at the most three--should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have seen it first hand and my experience is that it's mass hysteria. There is much 'amen-ing' and people crying and carrying on and the atmosphere changes from all the energy and because people want to feel the presence of god so much, they 'create' what they think is god but is in all actually nothing more than hysteria.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• They can speak in tongues if they believe they can speak in tongues, KWIM?

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• not if its a secret language that only the speaker and the interpreter "know" and/or it involves rolling around or goofy hand waving.

now if someone started speaking Swahili or Russian and didnt know it AND everyone in the room could understand it like it was their own language...like in Acts...then yes i would believe. but that doesnt happen.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• no
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 've 'witnessed' it, too...a few times, and i still don't believe its real. Seeing is not believing, in this case. its so much babble, and confusion, and if you pay close attention, you can almost time when its going to start. then its 'woah nellie!'..the whole place goes crazy. i don't believe it for one minute that its sincere.
    my problem with glossolalia is that the majority of people i know believe its happens only to certain people...those that are 'at one with the Holy Spirit'. every xtian believer is in that place..its what part of what happens by being a believing-child of God-scripture totally supports that.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My dad has been a missionary to other countries and once on a trip experienced someone speaking in tounges and the foriegn lanugage was English. So, yeah, I believe in it. I think a lot of people fake it for attention, but really what won't people fake for attention?

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011