Do you think parents should pay for the crimes their CHILDREN (meaning under 18) commit

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would say it depends. when I used to work in retail, most of my working life...and I would see parents STEAL but use thier children to help them. Some would steal movies or food and hide it under their baby in the stroller. I tell you, some parents are SICK.

If that is the case, YES...the parents aren't helping their children...so YES, they should pay.

If the child or teen did it and the parents are doing all they can to try to set their child straight, then maybe not...harder punishments are needed for that child/teen.

If they parents don't seem to care....or, my child would NEVER do that...then YES...the parent SHOULD pay.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That depends . . . . if it is a very serious crime, like murder or kidnap, by a teenager, then the child should be tried as an adult and held fully responsible.

But, for most crimes that cause financial loss . . .yes.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If it can be proven the parent was negligent in watching or raising the child, YES!!!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think the person who was responsible for the child should be the one to pay - lets say the babysitter allowed the situation to transpire... she should be held accountable = whoever is in charge of the child at the time the crime happened. if that is the parents obviously they need to pay for damages...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Depends on the crime. Example????
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My opinion, no.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 3:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think the laws are tough enough on kids. If the first time they committed a crime, the consequences were hard, they would think about there being a next time. No, the parents should not pay. The perpetrator should. The 1st offense should be an ankle monitor, mandatory school and community service for 2000 hours. The 2nd offense should be ankle monitor, mandatory school, and 5000 hours of service to the community. Sending them to juvie does not work. That is a cake walk. And yes, I speak from a mom that has had a wayward child. He learned absolutely nothing under the current laws for juvenile offenders. Our family paid and went without while he went to the mall, the movies, no school, swimming, shopping trips all while in juvie.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No. Unless they are raising the children in a way that encourages crime - which should have it's own charges - they shouldn't be paying for the crimes of their children. That said, parents with children to young to work would be responsible for monitary damages, but IMO, they should be settling that with their child once they are old enough to pay them back...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I agree, it depends on the crime.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• depends..i think they should be fined the fines that way they can make sure the kids can do the work to pay them off.. now for jail time, of course not. but i can see a parent getting in trouble for neglect for certain things. I think there should be plenty of community service kids can do.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011