Does it annoy you how ..

Ok, so my question is ... does it annoy you how some people are like "Oh you're only happy with your man because you haven't been with him long. Give him time. You won't be happy like you are now in a few years." "Your relationship is FRESH, just give it time. You are in the "honeymoon" stage" .... ERR! I hate that. They assume you haven't been in a long term relationship before. ya know ?? If you say you are happy in a long term relationship, you have to be lying or something. Its like they think everyones relationship turns unhappy eventually ... fyi, that's not true!! Yes a lot of them do, but not all of them do. ya know ? Why don't our relatinship advice count ?? Its like if you are in a short term relationship like 6 months or shorter, you advice/opinion doesn't seem to count because you haven't been with that person long enough and if you say you are happy in a long term relationship, it seems like you advice/ opinion doesn't matter either because they assume you are lying about being happy. Has anyone noticed this? I'm not just saying this about this site, I'm saying this about people off the site as well.

For example .. my parents have been together for 28 years. They still flirt & everything with each other. You can tell when they look into each other's eyes, are are still inlove. Well they were flirting in line at Walmart a few years ago and this lady looked at them and said "Oh give it a while, you guys are in your honeymoon stage." My parents looked at her laughing. They said " Um, we've been together for over 20 yrs."

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• People have become so bitter lately. I remember seeing a question on here a few weeks ago about how do you feel when you see a couple being affectionate toward each other or something like that. Most of the answers were like "I think give it a few years, it will never last." WTF? I agree with you, and I will be married 14 years this year.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'd just ignore it, they only feel that way because they haven't encountered that kind of love yet. DH and I have only been together for six years but we're still just as much in love as we were in 9th grade.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Don't let it annoy you. Sometimes when people say that, it is mostly out of a longing to have that back. In alot of relationships, the excitement does dwindle, and people miss it.

Take it more as a self-reflective comment then something about you.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yea for your parents! Its not all that common anymore
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm single but yes.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 3:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It also seems like if you say anything "positive" about your relationship or someone elses (like I did about my parents) you are considered "bragging" WTF is up with that ? Why can't people just be happy for others that found that person that they're happy with ? I truly am!! I was talking to a friend one time and she said " I know you dont want to hear this, but my husband is awesome." I'm like "WTF? Why wouldn't I want to hear that? I'm happy for you." She said "Well a lot of NON MARRIED women don't like to hear about how great my husband is." WTF? Just because I'm not married doesn't mean I won't be happy for you. I've been in a 6 yr MISERABLE relationship. That relationship still runs my life to this day. I had his child, so back & forth to court we go!
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011