Where's the BESt place to buy a Betta Fish at?

My soon to be 2 year old son is getting his own fish for Christmas. I was wondering where the BEST place to buy a Betta Fish from. I heard that Walmart fish die quickly & although these fish life spans aren't long I don't want to go out & buy a new fish every week or so. Thanks in advance for you Help.

MsWood729

Asked by MsWood729 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Pets

• Every time I have bought a betta it dies within a few months. I have gotten them from Walmart and Meijer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I worked at PetSmart for a year and we take very good care of our bettas. The water is changed and treated every day and they are fed everyday. They are very healthy and I feel it's the best place to buy one.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 8:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I agree about PetSmart. We bought our son's betta there and the sales person was very helpful, knowledgable, etc. And our store told us that if the betta did die within 2 weeks, we would get a replacement at no cost. But you would have to check with your store to see if they do that.

Our betta lasted almost a year.
    happymom612

Answer by happymom612 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i have two betta fish rite now that i got from walmart .we have had them for about four months now
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Petsmart is the best place or a "fish store" Walmart does not take care of their fish the right way. I was a Manager for Petsmart and can tell you that is your best place. Also make sure you only get 1 per tank, never 2 in the same tank.
    kcmesserole

Answer by kcmesserole at 12:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would go to Petsmart or Petco, I know people who have bought fish at Walmart and they die fast.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• We have 4, two males from Petsmart, and two females from Petco (4 seperate tanks, who knew that the females fight, too? lol! We've tried every possible combination). We have had them for about a year now, with no problems whatsoever.

I have had fish from Walmart die from the stress of moving them from the store to home.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 12:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I worked for a Mom and Pop pet store for a couple of years. I would stay away from Walmart fish. I'm not saying every Walmart is bad but typically the turn around of workers is so high that there's not much experience there. The reason i liked the Mom and Pop shop is because the people running it had worked with all the animals for over 40 years combined. They knew their stuff and how to keep an aquiarium healthy. I'm not saying every Mom and Pop pet store is the same but why not pick their brains and all their knowledge while supporting a local business??
    Makieno

Answer by Makieno at 8:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• If you go with a chain...go with Petco or Petsmart. Mom and Pop pet shops usually are best. I had gotten a kitten at a chain and within a year he was dead. He was born with a kidney disease they never told me about. The chain is no longer here. I went to a mom and pop...the kitten is now a plump 11 year old cat.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I BOUGHT MINE AT WALMART AND HE IS 2 YEARS OLD AND STILL STRONG !!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2008