Babysitting....

a sister of a good friend asked how much i would charge to watch her 6 and8 yr old this summer ( I have 3 of my own and committed 5 days a week to one of my sons 8 yr old friends) I told her that i am only available at MOST 1-2 days a weeks since i DO NOT plan on spending my WHOLE summer at my house watching kids...( with 4 there is room in the van to go places and do things and my 4 ( yep Donovan is my 4th haha) kids are great together! Plus we will have the use of Donovan's pool at his house and I do not feel right bringing other kids there since they are gratious enough to let us use their beautiful pool and yard!. I told her for the 2 it would be $50 I know the 6 yr old can be mouthy as all get out and i am not 100% sure about prompt payment.... She did stiff a friend out of a lot of sitting monies before....

UGH in typing this I am not sure I want to to this thoughts?

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 3:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Dang, that sounds like one of those you don't want to hurt her feelings, but you want to say no type things. Maybe just tell her you have your hands full already?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Well I think you've kinda answered your own question..sounds like you dont want to do it and I dont blame you one bit.. if you do help out just warn straight up no pay they dont come back

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If you really don't want to commit to watching the children then I would tell her that you already have your hands full with your own kids, and you have things planned for the summer. If you do watch the children I would tell her that you expect payment upfront each day (or on the 1st day)-- and if she can't pay then you won't watch the kids and she will have to find someone else that day.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• $50 sounds fair, and I'd demand that payment was made when she drops the kids off. I've been stiffed too many times.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If you decide to go through with this, I would tell her that the $50 is to be in your hand, in cash, when she drops the kids off at the beginning of each week. No pre-pay, no dropping them off.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Go with your gut feelings, your gut is always right. Your heart is interfearing with your gut. Your heart breaks easily and friend or not you don't want to get hurt. So I would tell her you just don't have the space in order to take 2 more kids. GL
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011