Studdering

I have asked many questions regarding my 4 1/2 year old, and i appriciate all the sweet concerned answers from those of you that have taken the time.
Sam, he studders with every sentence he tries to speak. "but but but but mama......" or, "I dont i dont i dont i dont........" or, "mama, mama, mama, do you, do you do you....." or "can i can i can i have a snack? those sorts of things. it seems like he can never "spit out" what he wants to say. sometimes he will try to tell me somthing and then he will say, "i dont no what im trying to say" Is this normal for a 4 1/2 year old? obviously i am concerned, but do i need to be? is this somthing that will pass or should talk to his doctor?

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 3:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes. It is somewhat common for that age group to stutter. But, it is never too early for speech therapy, anyway. 41/2 is a funny age for services because they turn over to the school district when he gets in kinder. For now, talk to the pediatrician. If it continues in kinder, ask the teacher to start the evaluation process to see if he can get some help during school hours.

Stuttering is, most of tihe time, a result of stress or anxiety. So, try not to focus on it too much at home because it really eats into the self-esteem.

If you are able to consult with a speech therapist to get some ideas on techniques that can help your son . . .try to do that.

But, little spurts of stuttering can be normal for a 4 1/2 year old.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Talk with his doctor. Good rule of thumb? If you THINK you should talk to the doctor, then you NEED to talk to the doctor.

He'll probably get sent for a speech evaluation.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• And no... I would not consider this normal for his age.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• talk to his dr. for sure , my autistic son-11 stutters , can be diff reasons,
    get a speech eval thru school district
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm not being bitchy with this, just pointing it out - it's stuTTering. Anyway, my kids all went through a "stutter" phase like that. I don't find it totally abnormal, but I don't see anything wrong with it either if he hasn't always done it.
    Anonymous

• My older son went through a brief phase of stuttering. My other 2 didn't. I would ask your doctor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Okay Miss anonymous... i wasnt asking for spelling tips, but thatnks!
    thank you all. i will be talking to the doctor, it wont hurt to get him into speech therapy. it cant hurt right?
    dfwhite

Comment by dfwhite (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011