Scared of cord getting wrapped around the neck?

I am 17 weeks pregnant and am terrified of the cord getting around the babies neck and it dying. This happened to my SIL, she went in for her 18-20 week scan and the baby had died because of this. How often does this hsppen? And can you prevent it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i never heard of that .. that is so sad :( i know my son's cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times when i was in labor with him. it was kinda scary !
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 3:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My DD was born a month early because she had the cord wrapped around her neck and around her ankle. She weighed 5 pounds at birth -- and was healthy. I do not know of any way to prevent it other than rest. Good luck and try not to stress!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• There is nothing you can do to prevent it from happening. It happened to me a few years ago when I was 7 months pregnant. My daughter was stillborn. The doctor told me is was rare. Do not worry yourself over it. Hugs to you dear.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm 18 weeks. Don't reach for things up high. Try not to stress.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 3:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• the reaching above your head to prevent cord entanglement is an absolute myth. theres nothing you can do to prevent it but worrying yourself sick will only cause other problems (like with BP)
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 3:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• *NOT* reaching above your head.... oops typo
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 3:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm 27 weeks, I worry about this too but there really isn't anything we can do to prevent it.
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it. Certainly worrying about it will do no good though. I know it's hard because there are so many things to stress over, but you just to have faith and do your best to control those things within your power and not dwell on things you can't change. I do believe it is rare though. With motherhood, beginning at the time you know you are pregnant, there are a million things to worry about. With the things you can't control it's better to just put your trust in God or fate and focus on the things you can control. Good luck, Mama!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to prevent it. Cords around the neck are fairly common and usually don't pose a huge problem, but yes sometimes it can be serious. My oldest son tied his cord in a perfect knot, wrapped it around his neck and one foot. When I was pushing him out, the knot pulled tight and cut off all the blood flow. He was born right after that, with no heart beat. The doctors were able to resuscitate him and he lived because of the immediate medical care he got. I understand how scary it can be, especially if you know someone who lost a child because of it, but that is pretty rare.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• There is nothing you can do to stop it. The cord wrapping isn't *always* an emergency situation. My first 2 pregnancies I stressed the whole first trimester and then I found new things to worry about later. Reality is though, some things are just out of our control. All you can do is eat right, take care of yourself and have faith in God, nature, life, whatever it is you believe. We all have our pregnancy fears. You aren't strange for worrying about this. ((hugs))
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2011