What's the story behind your child's name?

I'm sure we all named our children what we did for a special reason. :) In my family's tradition, we name our children with a name using the first initial of someone in our family (usually someone who has recently passed away) - it is a way of honoring them.

DragonflyGirls

Asked by DragonflyGirls at 3:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Baby Names

• i agree that names should be meaningful. growing up my mom just "liked' my name and there was no other story. pretty boring story to tell others imo. lol.

my first dd is named after 3 different people.. Theresa Hayle-Marie. theresa after my grandmother, hayle after his grandmothers middle name and marie because its a family middle name on my moms side.
    my second dd is also named after 3 different people. Marissa Geneva-Rae. marissa is a mix of marie and morse (my grandfather) and geneva is his grandma's first name.. rae is for my uncle who was originally named ray. who couldnt ave kids but did so much with us kids growing up and soo much with my own kids.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The first 3 werent really anything special (name wise). I just liked the names. Kristen, Gavin & Taylor. The past two were given family names William Valentin (pronounced Valenteen) & Sara Elisabeth. My son got his paternal grandpas first name, my grandpas middle name. My dd got my grandmothers first name & late aunts first name as a middle name.

Answer by gemgem at 3:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well i prob get a lot off people thinking I'm mad as my baby 1st names are named after guitar players / singer in me and dh fav bands , not because i'm in love with them or because i want my sons to grow up to be just like them but because these men love what they do and enjoy there life .  no matter what my boys grow up to be i want them to love it with a passion and love there life.

as for middle names my 1st son middle names a tradition my brother has it my dad has it ect ect my 2nd son has got my hubby 1st names as his middle

so i have robb james , and corey scott

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 3:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• because we had twins we both picked out a name, I picked out Jaiden so his middle name is after my grandpa Frasier, hubby picked out Nicholy so his middle name is after hubby's father Lavern
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i wanted to pick a cool name that i knew she's love having when she grew up. i tell ppl her name and they say "wow, that's such a cool name"
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 1st DS was named after a best friend of DH, middle name is DH. 2nd DS first name is after his great grandfather who passed, his middle name is after his grandfather who passed, and his last name of course comes from his daddy :) DD name came from not wanting to use any family member name lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My son is a jr named after his father
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When naming my first son, his father was named after his father (not a junior, but they both have the same first name) So we continued that tradition, and named our son after his father and grandfather. His middle name came to us after he was born, and we had to put a name on the birth certificate, so his name is Douglas Matthew. Douglas means "Deep or Dark Water" and it is a very appropriate name for him.

Our second son, due April 25th, will be named Barrett Andrew. Barrett means (in German, which a lot of his heritage is from) Brave as a bear, and Andrew means "Warrior" so his name will be "One who is brave as a bear." Which we feel is a good strong name. Andrew is also my father's middle name, so it was a way of carrying a name on from my side of the family.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• There is nothing special about my son's name, other than it's what my husband and I agreed on. My daughter's middle name is to honor my paternal grandmother who was an amazing woman.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Kalina (her first name) was the only name DH and I agreed on (I had a list of about 250 names!), and we liked the meaning. Alexis (her first middle name) is because of all the "Alex" names in our families. Starling (her second middle name) was my dad's first name and he passed away when I was 7 months along with her, and I wanted to honor his memory, especially since he was the most excited person in my family (to meet DD).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011