Does anyone have cold remedies for infants?

My baby is 5 months old and has had a cough and cold off and on for almost a month now. I thought that breast feeding would prevent this! My pediatritian refuses to prescribe anything and recommends saline drops and a humidifer (which isn't helping). Does anyone have any home remedies? I'm open to suggestions.

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hang out in a steamy bathroom for a while. Hyland's, the teething tablet people, make a cold tablet as well. That might help. But honestly, sleep, fluids, sleep, and more fluids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• When I put mine to sleep I used to put them in their bouncy seat and then put that in the crib so they slept upright. I also used Vick's vapo-bath in the bath before bed and that seemed to help. That is about all you can do if they won't prescribe anything. With one of my girls, she was only seeming to cough at night or when she laid down...turns out she had asthma (found that out at 9 mos from a doc that was not our normal doc). It is not good to give a baby breathing treatments unless it is really really needed, the meds can be more harmful. But for both of them, sleeping upright was the best thing.

Boofer

Answer by Boofer at 9:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You can put vicks vapor rub on the babys feet and cover with socks and itll relieve them a bit.

Answer by gemgem at 9:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Triaminic makes a fan , runs on battery. You insert the medicine pad into it. I put it on my dd dresser. The one i bought had a cherry scent.
    I think vicks makes a plug in one.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 11:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• OOH, I used the Triaminic fan too. Not too shabby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I've tried the Vick's waterless vaporizer, it didn't work too well.
    Thanks for all your advice ladies.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2008