Would you want to know if your teenage daughter was having sex?

I saw a question on here about a mom catching her son and his girlfriend havin sex, I suggested she talk to the girl's parents as well. I was amazed at how many Mom's thought that was a bad idea. I would want to know if my daughter was having sex, and I wouldn't have a fit about it, just a conversation and birth control options. What do you think?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 4:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yep Id want to know and did know. My dd told me when she became sexually active and asked to get put on birth control. I dont see why it has to be an issue. Moms should be close enough and open enough with their kids to talk about these things so they arent so taboo.

Answer by gemgem at 4:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yup, I would want to know if she was still under age.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• There was a post on here maybe a month ago about this subject, and the poster was concerned the girl's mother would overreact and not let her daughter take the pill anymore.

I hope I'm sensible enough when my DD is a teen that she would not be afraid to tell me. I would definitely want to know.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes I would want to know, but I would be pissed if someone else told me about it. It's no one else's place to tell me that, it's my daughter's business. If a parent of the person she's sexually active with "catches" them or finds out, it's their place to talk to THEIR child about it, IMO. I hope my daughter feels comfortable enough to talk to me about that sort of thing so that I can help her protect herself, but it's up to her to make that decision. I can understand parents thinking that they need to go tell the other parents, but I would probably go off on them for it if it happened to me. If I were the one to "catch" them, I would encourage the other teenager to talk to their parents, but I couldn't force them to and I wouldn't go to their parents.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i want to know
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would want to know
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 4:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I sure would want to know.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would for sure want to know so that we could have a talk about STI's and get her on birth control or a different kind of birth control so she can't "forget" and come home at 16 making me a grandmother...
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You are absolutely right and we need to know so that we don't find out the only worse thing....that we are grandparents
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes siree I would!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011