How do you feel about public school transportation?

My son starts school this year, and im thinking i dont want him to ride the bus, i know what can happen on school buses..but how do you other moms feel about?

AydensMommy1109

Asked by AydensMommy1109 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in

• I wouldn't feel comfortable with my children riding the bus.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am scared to death!! DD starts school in the fall and I just worry about what happens if she gets off at the wrong stop, will the driver notice.. I mean how do they "teach" kids where to get off and what about bullies?? I'm just worried. I have a sweet little girl who is missing 4 front teeth and has glasses... 2 things every young child is picked on for.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't have sent one of my kids alone, but I have two that are one year apart in school. They started riding the bus together when they were in 2nd and 3rd grade. Their bus driver has been driving the bus for our neighborhood for years and the parents that have lived in this neighborhood all trust her because she drove all of their older children and are now driving the younger ones. She's really nice!

Just a note to zoejains momma - my 4th grade daughter wanted glasses to look "cool" so thing have changed!

Answer by missanc at 4:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I dont feel comfortable with my children riding the bus. We just had an incident this year where the school did not shut down the schools on time and the buses were running with black ice on the road. One bus hit black ice and flipped over. I think alot of people figure well if the buses are running the roads must be alright, and that is not true.

Answer by gemgem at 4:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Last year my son's bus driver had all the kindergartners sit in the front seats and the school had 1) older kids, 5th and 6th graders, meet the kindergartners and helped them get on teh right bus. I'm pretty sure that went on all year; 2) put a blue or red sticker on the collar/chest of each child as they got off the buses in the morning to facilitate getting on the right bus in the afternoon. My son did fine.

I also rode school buses from 4th grade until I graduated high school and only had a handful of problems in all those years.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• DH and I are in full agreement that our son won't be riding the bus, probably not until he's at least 10. I personally hated riding the bus when I was in school cause I got picked on all the time. But it's not just that. We don't trust other people to drive our son around. We even have the ok that if they take a field trip, we can drive him ourselves and meet the bus at wherever they are going to.

Really irrelevent right now though, because the school he goes to is a 10 minute walk and a 5 minute drive.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Our school bus won't let a Kindergartner or a Pre-Ker get off the bus without their parent and picture ID. Even though I pick my kids up every single day from the bus stop, the bus driver checks my DL every single time. If I'm not there or if I don't have my ID, she will take my kids back to the school and I have to go pick them up there, where they have my info and picture on file.
    I like this system, because I don't think my 5 & 6 yo are old enough to walk from the bus stop to my house by themselves. We live on a road with no sidewalks.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My kids did not ride the bus until they asked to do so (upper elementary). They quickly changed their minds. LOL I don't think they are safe - I'm sorry but cramming kids into the seats like sardines and having no seat belts is crazy. For field trips I always drove my own children.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My kids don't ride the school bus. My kids school is PreK-4th grade and there are only 4 buses so, not too many children ride the bus in our district.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My kids ride the bus. If they didn't they'd have to be homeschooled because I don't have a car and the school is 2 miles from home and it's always raining.
    My oldest rode the bus in kindergarten and 1st grade, too. then we moved and they walked for 3 years. Now they are on the bus again. The kindergarten kids have to sit in the front rows. Then the 1st graders, then 2nd, etc. Only the 5th graders are allowed in the very back seats and if they screw around they get stuck up front by the driver.
    My kids LOVE the bus. They go out there 25 minutes early almost every day even when it's cold and rainy. They hang out with their friends and can't wait to get on the bus every day (they are in 5th, 3rd and 2nd grades...next year my oldest will be on a different bus for mid. school and my youngest dd starts kindergarten and will ride with the middle two kids).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2011