Mommy musicians, how do you get your children into music?

My son takes no interest in my guitar playing at all..and i play a little of everything. Ive been in a band for a few years now, but i havent taken my son to a concert yet. When i sit at home and practice he takes no interest in mommy playing music and sometimes yells at me to be quite. Kinda hurts my feelings. Ive been playing for 12 yrs, so i know i dont suck! I just wish he'd have a little more interest in it. He's 3 1/2 now =-)

AydensMommy1109

Asked by AydensMommy1109 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I put my 9 yr old into piano lessons about 6 months ago. She loves it. I think you just have to introduce them and see if they like it.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't personally play very seriously. I can play the guitar some, but I'm not into music like my brother and dad are. They're amazing. My dad is a drummer, and we've let my son "play" the drums with him since he was old enough to hold the sticks. He's now 18 months and bangs away, and I swear sometimes he actually plays with a beat. I also take him to Gymboree music classes. They have them for all ages and it introduces them to a variety of music and instruments. My son loves it!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Kids are naturally drawn to music, but they all have different gifts and interests. My husband would have loved for any one of our three boys to be into cars and auto racing....I mean they are boys after all, but they all had their own interests. Oldest theater, middle one music, youngest -money!!

Expose him to a variety of interests, and keep different kinds of music, eventually he may want to be a musician, but he'll probably develop a love for music anyway....who doesn't love music.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Surround them with it! But honestly if that's not their thing, nurture your child's interests. They call still love music though!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 1:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2011