I have an older Cocker Spaniel.. I am trying to keep him in the house all summer.. night and day but it seems he likes the garage better.. any ideas?

pupmom

Asked by pupmom at 2:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Pets

• I actually understand this, kinda like I have one dog that would rather lay on the floor than in the bed..lol. Seems odd to us but they like it. If he really likes the garage try to set up an area just for him. Lots of water, a fan on the area where he will lay down and bc of his age a nice soft blanket to lay on to help with any pressure sores he might get from the hard pavement. Make sure you check on him frequently and let him out to potty and try to still get him to play...moving will help those joints and bones too. If you notice him panting excessively you might want to bring him inside and allow him to cool off. Good Luck.
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• if he likes the garage, I see no reason not to let him be in the garage. Some dogs find houses too "busy". I have a dog (a newfoundland) who simply WON'T come into the house. She likes her place in the backyard with her kiddie pool, her own deck, and her big shady trees.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• the garage is most likely concrete floor? they lay on the cold floor and it feels better than carpet that traps their body heat.
    we have partial hardwood and partial carpet and all the pets are on the hardwood!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• if the garage is not cluttered then put up a childs play pen where you would like him/her to stay in there and let him/her stay in the garage
    bornangel

Answer by bornangel at 8:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2008