Pepper Spray a 8 year old having a tantrum?

Granted the boy was shouting, cursing and waving around a pointy stick threatening people.  DO you think the police made a wise decision to pepper spray the child?  Why was the school unable to handle the child to begin with?  and why if this was the 3rd time the police had been called did CPS or the school intervene to get this child treatment for what ever is causing his outburst?

LINK

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I posted this same thing on my FB today... And here's my view... If POLICE can not control an EIGHT YEAR OLD without using peperspray or something, either that is Superman's child (which I doubt) or we need new police officers!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I know I saw that on the news yesterday and though wtf? I dont know what is more disturbing that administration at the schools are too lazy to know HOW to handle an 8 yr old with these problem so they call the police OR that the kid sat there on TV with a smirk and said he had anger issues. It really shows the weirdness of things today. I mean really? An 8 yr old can sit there and say he has anger management problems and use it as an excuse? When did 8 yr old get them? And when do we draw the line at over diagnosing brats?

Answer by gemgem at 4:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm going anon for obvious reasons. How would you feel if your kid was stabbed by this kid? You guys are saying how he sat on TV with a smirk. Well, he KNOWS he can get away with saying 'I have anger issues', and look, he IS getting away with it. So far, the measures the school HAS taken have not been talked about other then having called the cops. And from the sounds of it, the mom isn't working the system to her advantage to get her son what he needs to learn coping skills so he DOESN'T do things like this. Also, if the cops DID try to physically restrain him, kids are amazingly strong and agile. He most likely would have fought, and ended up with a broken bone or two. Then there would be outrage at that. I seriously doubt they went in, pepper spray drawn. People need to get off the fact that he is an 8 year old and LOOK at EVERYTHING he has done. And what his MOM is neglecting to do for him. She is neglecting him.
    Anonymous

• In my personal and professional experience, it's the parents who scream "law suit" at every turn that are the one's who's children are the hellions--but they think of them as their perfect, delicate, little snowflakes! Ugh!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wasn't going to say anything, but damn, I can't. Seriously, WTF!! Where any of you there? Put yourself in those cops shoes for one second. Crazed child, running around with a sharp "stick" or "weapon", threatening to stab his teachers? What the hell do you expect them to do? Do a "take- down"... yes because cops jumping on an 8 yr old is the safest measure. Then they would be still demonized for "taking out an 8yr old". Really these cops were put in a loose loose situation. No matter how they take out this child, they turn into the bad guys.

I think they took the best approach they could. This child will endure no long term physical damage from pepper spray.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Sounds to me like the kid should have found out what a spanking was years ago and maybe this could have been avoided all together.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• the kid sat there on TV with a smirk and said he had anger issues. It really shows the weirdness of things today. I mean really? An 8 yr old can sit there and say he has anger management problems and use it as an excuse? When did 8 yr old get them? And when do we draw the line at over diagnosing brats?

***
    I know what you mean! The 10 year old congenitally blind student I work with has "anger management issues," which he says with a smile!! He sees THREE different psychologists--two in school and one outside of school, and they have all filled his head with "it's not you, it's your lack of anger management that's the problem!" To which I say, time to get a grip, and grow up and become a responsible person, already! He KNOWS full well that if he pulls the "anger" card, he will get a free pass! I think it's pathetic, that a child who already has a MAJOR strike against him, is being taught to have yet ANOTHER crutch! Ugh!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You just DONT pepper spray a child for any reason. Good thing they didnt use a tazer on the kid.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I guarantee you this started in Kindergarten with a teacher saying he had adhd and take him to go checked out. Mom does, and than he now has anger management problems, so no need to address any problems I mean if you cant control your anger, meh, who cares right? Way to give the kid a life long crutch.

Answer by gemgem at 4:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thank you Carpy. I didn't think anyone would:(
    Anonymous