Any advice for training a 2 1/2 year old boy????? I have tried the cheerios for targets...taking him every 20 minutes.......

denicews

Asked by denicews at 4:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is not ready yet!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I knew a mom that would have her son rinse off his underwear himself when he went in them.. he didn't like touching it, so he went in the potty. Lol. That would never work for my kid, he loves playing in the water regardless of the reason why.

With my youngest son we set him on the toilet backwards so he could hold onto the lid and that made him lean forward so he always made it right in the toilet. Later on he saw dad standing to pee and that's when he decided he was ready for that.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Stay calm and patient. You are teaching a skill and something they can only do with maturity. Get some of those potty training books for kids. Be consistent and keep taking him to the potty every 30 minutes or so. Google "toilet training readiness" to make sure he is ready. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Mine doesn't stand to pee yet (3.5) because he doesn't have the aim. We got him a potty when he was about 1 and kind of told him what it was for and let him sit on it before/after baths if he wanted, or if he followed us into the bathroom. Around 2 we started putting him in underwear at home. (Pull-ups feel like diapers, plus there is no mess if they wet themselves, so they can and will use them like diapers. So they're more convenient in the short term because there's no mess ever, but in the long run I'd say they're less convenient as IME they take longer to PT.) Once he was mostly dry at home, we began taking him in public in underwear. Nights were the last thing to go. You just have to keep talking to him about the potty, and when he is staying dry a lot switch to underwear. Don't expect to have him PT in a week or so either. It's a big change for them.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 4:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• He just might not be ready. I tried with my son a few times and one day it just seemed to click. This may sound silly, but we used "peepee candies" just something small, a couple m&ms or something. If you are married, or yourself, let him see you reward yourself or husband when you "use the potty" I know it may sound a little stupid but it seemed to help my son.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't have him stand yet... that is just asking for a big mess! LOL
    With my son, who is also 2 1/2... we started with a special reward... for him it was jelly beans. He doesn't usually get candy so he was very excited about the candy.... later we did a sticker chart when the candy lost it's novelty. We have various methods for him using the toilet... he has a potty chair which he chooses to use most often, he also has a seat that goes on the toilet, and sometimes he will choose to sit backwards or sit forwards and hold himself up. He has tried standing like daddy... but we don't encourage it.
    We just made a big deal about it... bought him his favorite undies and gave it a shot. It didn't happen right away, at first it was clear he wasn't ready so we took a break and came back to it a few weeks later. Try a week... if you aren't making any progress take a break.
    My son has been trained now for over a month :)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• make it fun. You can have him sit on the potty (instead of standing up) and read a book with him on the pot 'till he goes. If he has any potty trained friends, have them over to spend the night (that helped my oldest). Use sticker on a "reward chart" I just found a picture of a toilet, printed it out, and put a sticker on the toilet every time s/he went potty in it. They loved picking out their stickers (got like 500 sticker for $1.00 at the dollar tree). If you do the 20 minute thing, make sure they're well hydrated so he actually has some potty to push out. You can sing songs, read books, color, tell stories, play patty cake etc . . . while he's on the pot. Maybe try getting one of the potty dolls too. Some kids respond well to that. Put him in underwear. Major on the fact that underwear is for big boys. See if you can find some matching undies for him and Daddy or for him and someone he looks up to. K.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2011