Can one really practice attachment parenting with only one parent's involvement?

I know many women who try to practice attachment parenting, but their husband's are not involved in their efforts. Can you practice attachment parenting if only half of the parental unit is putting forth the effort, or does it need to be a family affair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It can still be very successful with only one parent. A strong primary caregiver is the essential element.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Sure. I've always practiced it. My husband works a LOT, so he can't really interfere too much. He's not the attachment parenting type at all, but it still works. It's funny bc my son acts differently around my husband than he does with me. I think my husband actually has it a lot easier with my son because of it, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It can still be very successful with only one parent. A strong primary caregiver is the essential element. "

This is basically what I was saying before I started rambling, lol. Since my son is primarily with me, I have the stronger influence.:)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Sorry girls, what exactly is attachment parenting?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It is basically a method of parenting that centers around the child's development and needs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thank you :) Hmmm I thought that's what being a parent was :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yesmaam . . . . I know. :)

Sometimes, though, parenting centers around what is good for the parents or the family, as a whole . . . so kids are put on stricter schedules, daily and milestone-wise . . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would say so. As long as the one practicing is the main caregiver.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yes. i did attatchment parenting from day one, and it was wonderful. My husband at the time was uninvolved, and by the time my child was 2, we were seperated and divorcing. So, attatchment parenting was even more helpful than i could have imagined. My child did great through the divorce, no problems. Now, years later, he has a great relationship with a great step-father, but my son and i still have a close bond that means everything to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2011