Debate: your opinion do you think if a child doesn't want to go for visitation they should have to? adult content

I know that the law is they still have to go with the non custodial parent, but what is everyone's opinion on the subject?

ashleypalomba

Asked by ashleypalomba at 4:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• N-O! My 5 year-old HATES seeing her dad, she does nothing but cry the entire weekend.. why force her to have a bad weekend and cry herself to sleep?
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If they don't want to go then they shouldn't have to
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 4:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think that if a child doesn't want to go then they shouldn't have to. There's a reason kids don't like to go places or be around certain people.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was not made to go and stopped around the age of 9. I think I would have actually benefited from being made to spend some time with my Father.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• no way
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That's tough. I've known of scenarios where one parent talked badly about the other, making the child not want to go with that parent. I just don't know. If there's a legitimate reason why they don't want to go, then they shouldn't have to. But if there's not, I can't imagine being the "other parent" and not being able to see my child. The tough part id figuring out WHY the child doesn't want to see the other parent.

However, with that being said, if it were my child, and he didn't want to see his dad (we're married, I'm speaking hypothetically), it will kill me to send him to him. So maybe I'd think differently if I were in that situation.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If your child hated being with you and your husband now and wanted to just stay at grandma's would you force them to come home? I couldn't imagine keeping my children from their father. Seems cruel to him and to the kids. They might be tired or upset but their father will care for them and comfort them. Sometimes my kids don't want to leave his house and come home to me. It sucks but we work through it. My kids wished mom and dad were still together they hate not having full time access to both of us and that is why it upsets them so much.
    Anonymous

• No I don't think they should be forced to go.....When I was growing up my mother was already remarried before I even MET my bio-dad so already I didnt care if I knew him or not....he was a terrible person!...he had 2 sons (my age) from his new wife and they would make me take baths in the boys dirty bath water, my mom would spend HOURS braiding my hair into those tiny little individual braids and Victor's (bio-dad) wife would take them all out the moment I walked in the door....they would take my clothes and make me wear the boys hand me downs....alot of it was probably my fault because I didnt tell my mom everything that was going on over there but I was an adult before I was finally allowed to cut off all communication...I would NEVER make my children see someone they didnt want to see
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i wouldn't want to send my child somewhere he or she doesn't want to go, it's cruel in my opinion.
    xLeeAnnex

Answer by xLeeAnnex at 5:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't send my child to see someone that he wouldn't want to go to.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011