Should elementary schools have a dress code?

CometGirl

Asked by CometGirl at 5:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Every school I have been associated with had a dress code. I agree with so many others that uniforms would be good.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yes, why wouldn't they? Some of the 4th and 5th graders these days are quite developed. The kids also seem a little more, uh, mature these days. Last year, when my daughter was in 2nd grade, this boy in her class kept asking her for a "date" and telling her she had a "nice ass". I was furious and complained to the teacher, but sadly, it just doesn't seem that uncommon now. We should at least make sure the kids are dressing like kids and not like little hookers.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think all schools should have uniforms...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Dress code, or uniforms? Dress code as in no shirts with profanity or whatever, sure. Uniforms, no. I think kids should be able to express themselves with the things they wear and feel comfortable with that. Right now my kindergartener is going through a dress shirt and tie phase. I see no harm in letting kids wear what they want as long as it's not a distraction to other kids.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't understand--is this question asking if you think schools should have uniforms or a dress code? Everybody else is answering as if it said uniforms, so it's making me feel like I misunderstood...is "dress code" synonymous with "uniform"?

Either way, my answer is yes. An enforceable dress code or uniforms are entirely necessary.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Here (UK) everyone wears a uniform to school. I would think it would be quite more expensive to have to buy a wardrobe just for school and another for play vs. a few uniform tops and skirts or slacks and a daily wardrobe for play/every day wear.
    Anonymous

• Ours do.

I am ALL for uniforms but here is my issue...

The middle and high school do not require uniforms. This is stupid to make the kids wear the uniforms in elementary school when they are not concerned with fashion or name brands like they are in middle and high school

If they do uni's-it should be done K-12
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think so
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 6:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes! It would be so much better than walking down the hallways of the elementary school and seeing hookers or gansters in training. What is wrong with some parents that they let their kids out of the house looking like this?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wore uniforms from my first day of preschool, until my last day in high school. I loved it. And i am planning on making sure my daughter does as well.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2011