How do you deal with a lazy child?

MY DD IS 8 & WILL NOT DO ANYTHING FOR HERSELF...NOT EVEN GET HER OWN PANTIES OUT AFTER A BATH, THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE! HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just don't do for her anymore. She WILL do it on her own. I refuse to do things for my kids that they can do on their own. Well, occasionally, but that's it. Their big thing is drinks. Like they can't pur their own??? Drives me nuts!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• With mine I had similiar problems. I just stopped doing things for them and they figured out they had to do some things I asked on their own. For instance we would go swimming at my friends and I would ask them to get their bathing suits and floats they planned to take. More often then not theyd just not do it and I would get it for them. I finally just didnt and when we went to my friends they didnt have bathing suits and had to watch the other kids swim. After that they always made sure they had their things. So my advice is make her do things or go without what she needs. She will learn real quick to do things on her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I am dealing with the same thing but I have a lazy eleven year old. But he eats all of my food and all he wants to do is lay around. Must I add he is not little he is about 5 2 .When I asks him to do something, he gets mad. So I can relate to what you are going through.Good luck
    vroberts3677

Answer by vroberts3677 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• yeah, I think lazy is one of the atttributes of a tween. I don't do things for my kids that they can do for themselves except make food because well, #1 don't want to deal with the mess then #2 they cook whatever they want and maybe that was for dinner next week...budgeting is tight here. I had to let my 5th grader not graduate from DARE this year he just didn't do the work~even after 3 prompts from a local police officer. I was so mad at him!!! It stinks to see them fail but I hope they get it after a few failures. I don't want them to get into a pattern of accepting failure though! So I get it~tough choices!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Stop waiting on her. Privileges are earned. She cleans room and then watches t.v. She does her homework and then whatever she likes to do. She should not be in charge. Sit down and have a cup of coffee and let her learn to take some responsibility for her own things. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 1:15 AM on Dec. 1, 2008