Child Support?

My son is 4 yrs old. His dad resides in another state than us. Financially I support my son on my own. I have a positive attitude about it, I was raised by strong women who did it all on their own. Men tell me that im letting his dad get off easy. I dont see it that way. Am I wrong for not taking out child support?

KaydeAnn

Asked by KaydeAnn at 5:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't think pursuing child support would take away from your ability to provide and do everything on your own, but it is giving him a free pass to get away with not supporting a child he created.

Can you imagine just relying on someone else to completely provide for your child? Must be nice for him to know everything will be taken care of and you won't let him go without.

You can never have too much saved for college, too many opportunities for your child, etc. I think that not getting child support does take some of that away from him, but then again, you have to weigh out what opening that can of worms would do...would he all the sudden want to come in and try to run the show? Assert rights? kwim?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• if you can do it and don't want or need the extra support why bother?
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Its a personal choice. I always chose to get child support even when I didnt need the money. I just put it away into savings for the kids.

Answer by gemgem at 5:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Nope. It's your call.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think you're doing a great job. My DS is 6 and I have custody, his father is a great father, but nothing else lol. He has two other kids of his own with his new wife. Even though I could drag im through the dirt for CS I choose not to.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Thank you ladies. @ gemgem I have been thinking of taking out child support and putting it into a savings account for my son. Your response is motivating me. At times I wonder if I am doing my son a disservice by not taking out child support.
    KaydeAnn

Comment by KaydeAnn (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• @ yesmaam Thank you. I think you are doing a great job as well. You seem very mature and to be handling yourself very well despite your sons dad tending to his family and not financially supporting your son. Best of luck to you hun
    KaydeAnn

Comment by KaydeAnn (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't need child support, though when my ex is working he pays it....it's not a heck of a lot, but I stick it all in a savings account for our son. You may not need it, but hey when your son is older that's some college money or car money for him. But it's completely up to you!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011