Don't feed the....

SQUIRRELS! We've been feeding( a piece of bread once a week or so) our outdoor friend who lives in the tree on the sidewalk outside of our home. Today he tried to break in.  He was seriously scratching at the bay window off the kitchen to get in as well as the picture above which is the window above our sink.

Any ideas to get rid of him besides killing him? I just want him to stop trying to get in! Obviously don't feed him anymore, but I don't feel like we can even go outside on our deck because he's gotten too comfortable with my kids being around.

Any ideas! Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pets

• LOL too cute. I would just put up a squirrel feeder on the fence and slowly stop putting food in it. or pack him up in a cat carrier and take him to the local park.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If you stop feeding him, he'll give up and go away soon. Just make sure there is NO food source nearby for him, and he'll start looking elsewhere. Please don't hurt the little guy--he's just a squirrel lookin' for a nut like the rest of us... :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• this may sound silly but has worked for me. Put a good size bowl of dog food out and he will carry and stock his tree once it is full he will then leave u alone. good luck!!!
    bdg27

Answer by bdg27 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Awe, don't kill him, that would be mean. Besides that, red squirrels are rare. He's just hungry, that's all. Once there is more food available, he'll leave you alone. I like matobe's idea, try it.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 5:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I second the feeder idea!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• that's so cute I want to rub his tummy lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• he is so cute!
    juniebug11

Answer by juniebug11 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The first thing that comes to mind is he was a rescue, that has been hand raised and released when he got to be to much to handle... He will leave if you don't feed him... another good idea someone said, is to feed him from a squirrel feeder, once the spring comes he will be off making babies and gathering food that is plentiful ... I would be shocked if he came near your kids... they are usually skittish even if were hand raised once they are released... I have raised a few for a wildlife center, when released at the center they would see me and chatter at me but never came near me...

TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 3:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• can also ask your local aspca for advice as well.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2011