The spending habits of the government

Does anyone have any concerns about the spending habits of our leaders in this country? Before we, the people, get asked to fork ov er more money, shouldn't the governemnt be on a spending freeze except for military spending and paychecks? This would include no new employees, no new contracts or bids, no new opening of new official offices, no new vehicles, no new nothing for say 6 months. Wouldn't that save us billions of dollars?

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No. I think we need to keep on with our military raises and expenses because that is what keeps us safe. My dad was in the marine corp and my ex was army and when they cut costs they had a real issue with reenlistment. It also puts us in danger because when we cut out military it doesnt mean other countries are. Our govt needs to stop spending on stupid things like bailing out companies who mismanaged their money.

Answer by gemgem at 9:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• gemgem~~~~I agree 100% with you that is why I asked this with just paychecks and military expenses being the only 2 things paid. Thanks for your answer!!!
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Well the thing is when you cut down paychecks then people are not going to volunteer to work for the governement. Remember most of the military personell is volunteer. There are some jobs that are civilian based but they also wont work for free. My dad is retired from the marines and currently works for a naval contracting company. They do alot of work and the govt relies on them for many things. It would affect our defense and economy to cut back on those sorts of jobs I think. I know my ex didnt reenlist with Clinton was in office because they didnt want to offer a good bonus. There would be alot of ppl like that who would think why put my life on the line for a country that doesnt think Im worth it?

Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I agree to some extent. Unfortunately, there is a certain amount of money alloted to each section of the gov. and they "have to spend it" or they "lose it". But by losing it, that doesn't mean it gets credited back to where it should go, it just means another dept. within that agency will spend it. Therefore, people get greedy and make impulse purchases just to use the money. They have to use the money so budgeting can get done for the next years, and the more money they use/take, the more they can ask for...with our taxes, even if they didn't really need it.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Not all life in USA is about military.We also need to think about police,paramedics,firefighters-THey are the people who are supporting us everyday.They go out every morning risking their lifeS.
    People need take responsibility of their actions and stop blaming somebody of their problems.
    Everybody needs to do their part to make life better in USA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Oh I agree with the firefighters etc. But those jobs are paid by the state NOT the federal govt. Each state is given a certain amount of money every year to run their counties and cities. The police depts, fire depts etc are paid from that money. Federal money is used for other things like the military and what not. So in short the firefighters will still get paid because the state pays them. I do agree ppl need to stop blaming other ppl for their problems. I strongly suggest people go get an education and work for their money and stop waiting on the govt to bail them out.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Guys, she is not talking about cutting paychecks! She is talking about not buying new vehicles, not building new government buildings, etc. Personally, I think it would be a good idea, but unlikely to happen.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You can buy new car when You have money saved for the car . We can not freeze all spending. We need to but people to work. That's meaning how we can get economy back in track.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i think some of these ear marks should be put on hold and evaluated and maybe some of the incentives to the big congress ppl should also be evaluated and cut.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• control government spending?! HAHAHAHA!

our beloved congress has spent so much money the people are running around with monopoly cash!

chicka:)
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2008