Dealing with Health Insurance - is this the new normal?

I cannot believe how complicated health insurance has gotten; and this is before the government has gotten in the mix with the new law. I am having to make what feels like 15 phone calls to make sure some diagnostic tests will be covered.

Call the imaging company, they call the doctor. Call the doctor myself. Fax things to the imaging company. Fax things to the doctor. Call the insurance company. Call the imaging company again. Get ahold of medical records (to-do). Call, call, call...

Why am I doing this? We had a scare that we might have to pay a $10,000 bill to the hospital for a CT because **we** didn't make sure **the doctor** called the insurance company to authorize the test. (Fortunately, the insurance ended up paying their portion, but ahem, we still pay 20%, that's why I am shopping around this time.)

Is anyone else dealing with this nightmare? Will it get worse or better after the new law goes into affect?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 5:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Health

• Wow! What a nightmare! I can't say I've had to deal with that but I'm interested to know what others have experienced.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 5:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• OMG! It has gotten terrible over here . . I have Anthem HMO. I have to wait MONTHS to get word of whether or not services will be covered. I am popped incorrect bills. I have had to drive all the way to corporate to fight for services.

My mother was recently approved for a shingles vaccine, and they wanted her to drive 2 HOURS away to get it.

Mind you, my plan is actrually considered a "cadillac" plan.

A major problem is the selfishness of the provider group, who tries to decline services to pocket the extra money.

It is crazy.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It will get worse . . irrespective of the new law. More and more people are dropping insurance, which raises the cost for the rest of us. It has almost become completely unaffordable for those without employer-sponsored coverage.

I am thinking that we are looking toward a complete insurance industry melt-down. The rates will continue to rise, more people will drop, and it will be like an avalanche.

At which point, there will be no choice but a government take-over.

This will happen regardless of new laws.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• worse...
    asil

Answer by asil at 5:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am currently looking for health insurance and the deductible and co-pays are awful.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 6:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It can be a headache for any type of specialty care. Good luck!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011