No car seat and front seat questions...

I forget, at what age or weight is it ok to put a child in the back seat of a car without a kids car seat?

And at what age or weight is it ok to put a child in the front seat of a car?

My oldest is 4. He'll be 5 in November. But I have 2 younger boys and so the back seat of my car is packed with three different car seats. And well, I'm hoping to have my fourth and final child next year but the thought hit me today that my oldest may not be old enough to sit in the front seat of the car whenever we would have to go some where like the doctor, etc. So, at what age and weight is it ok again?

BUTTERCUP777

Asked by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• In TN you have to be 12 yrs old to sit in the front seat of a car and 7-8 to sit without a booster/carseat
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• sounds like you will need a bigger car there momma.. I'm not sure but i believe it is age 11 before they can sit upfront
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Rear facing until 2y, 5 point harness car seat is now from 0-5y, booster seat is now for up to 12!, and front seat is only for 13 and up. Good luck the rules have changed. Its gonna be confusing until we all finally get with the flow lol.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 5:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• in ohio u have to be 8 to be out of the booster and i think 12 to sit up front....
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• This will be difficult---best bet is to buy a minivan---but some vehicles you can deactivate the passenger side air bag- --that would be the only safe way to have a child up front.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 5:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Military here, and ous have to be 8, to ride p front with no car seat!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• wow dragonqueen - glad I don't live in CA! Booster for age 12!!! What??? My son is 12 years old - 5' 6" and about 130 lbs! No waaaaay he's fitting into a booster seat!!!!!! LOL
    bemomkec

Answer by bemomkec at 1:32 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• The laws vary by state. I would wait until your 4 year old can pass the 5 step test before throwing out the booster.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Or at least that is what they have in CA... lol
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 5:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Wow! Thank you so much! I think I'm going to have to get a new vehicle, I wanted one anyway. I'm in Louisiana so I'm going to try to find out the laws on that here too. But y'all reminded me of back when I was 3-4 years old I remember my grandmother used to put me in the front seat to and from preschool. But I'm sure that obviously the laws have changed. I also remember my mom telling me that my grandmother would put her on the floor of the car in the front when she was a kid but that was back when cars didn't have seatbelts. Talk about times and things change, huh?
    BUTTERCUP777

Comment by BUTTERCUP777 (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011