WAHMS...... i have a shipping question for you...

if you post your stuff on a site like Etsy.com or storenvy.com how do you go about figuring up prices and shipping and still be able to make a little something or at least break even?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 5:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I sell on Ebay and I bought a scale that I can use at home and ship from home with USPS...just figure what you bought it for and double it...you make a 50% profit. Of course it depends on the quality of the stuff..honestly, sometimes its not even worth the time and money to deal with it. USPS will also send you free boxes to your house.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Depending on the weight and size of your item, you can weigh it, and make shipping dependent on location usps mail. If time is of no consequence, priority mail isn't necessary, however I recommend it to ensure great customer service.

I'm not familiar with etsy, so I don't know if you can calc shipping based on your zip code and the recipient zip code, however if you can simply know the weight of your items and go from there, or have the customer contact you directly for payment
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 6:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yep buy a scale....then use USPS.com's shipping calculator to calculate the shipping costs. Don't know if etsy has a shipping calculator to do it automatically like ebay does, but you can always just calculate the cost to another city clear across the US from you....for example before ebay had the calculator I would go to usps.com and type in my zip code (i'm in NY) and then use "90210" (lol i know) to figure shipping costs. And i'd charge that.

While most think that to price something to make profit you should double it, reality is, if tripling still allows for a competing price you should triple it. So you pay for that one, have enough funds to replace that item in inventory, then profit.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think Etsy has some great forums for those starting out. At least that's what I've heard from reading their articles. A scale is definitely a good idea as weight is generally the biggest factor in how much it costs :)
    JulienBella

Answer by JulienBella at 10:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011