Do anyone else have issue with the bombardment of the teennick preview of the new degrassi episode exploding the lesbian scene?

I teach my kids tolerance and acceptance. this seams more like adult soap than a program aimed at tweens.

Maria A.

Asked by Maria A. at 6:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• no, lesbians are just as real as heterosexuals. It's no difference to me if it happened to be a boy & a girl. My DD does not care for that show though....so she does not watch it. She is more into Anime. She is not interested in teennick
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Going to sound like a smartie....change the channel. *wink*
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• it's no different than a show with a boy & a girl kissing. i think if you're teaching your children acceptance and tolerance you need to show acceptance and tolerance. Lead by example :)
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't care for too many shows on Nick anymore, this is just one more to add to the list. I agree with teaching tolerance and all, but I have to say that tolerance and promotion are two different things.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• THIS IS NOT A TWEEN APPROPIATE SHOW.

It is on TEEN nick... and even then probably not geared for early teens.

Anonymous

• Havent seen this commercial-but we dont mind degrassi for our kids.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 9:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I've seen it. My kids just ignore the commercial. They don't watch Degrassi because it's a little beyond them and it comes on too late (after they are in bed). They aren't into all that real dramatic relationship stuff yet so it's off their radar. I don't care about the lesbian stuff. My 10yo dd was like, "ick" but she thinks boys and girls kissing is icky, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I wouldn't let my child watch this show . . . I DO care about the lesbian stuff, the drinking and so much more, same thing with Glee. I don't think these shows are appropriate for tweens or teens to be honest. I'm all for teaching our kids about tolerance and acceptance I am not however okay with glorifying half the crap these shows promote and encourage.

Maybe I am in the minority . . . I've always monitored the shows my children have watched. They are now 21, 19, 18 and 14. They are respectful, they make good choices and they don't think they missed out on anything by not watching the same shows their peers did. Now that they are old enough to make their own choices they still forgo this type of programming.
    qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 10:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2011