Do you think step parents should have rights? adult content

What is your opinion do you think step parents should have rights?

ashleypalomba

Asked by ashleypalomba at 6:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• as a step parent myself...could you be a little more specific? :)
    SarahM.1983

Answer by SarahM.1983 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• In some people yes
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 6:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• rights as in what?
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think step-parents definitly have rights. I mean that childs parent chose them as their mate knowing they were going to be in that childs life. but thats just my opinion, what do u think?
    bdg27

Answer by bdg27 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It depends. Can you explain?
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Not that overshadow a birth parent's rights provided the birth parent is active in a child's life. If the step parent is raising the child because the birth parent can't or won't then by all means they should have rights.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think it depends on the step parent. My now 2nd ex should have been treated in court as my son's father because he is the only dad my son has ever known in 15 years. My 2nd ex's new wife should not have any say at all in our kids lives because she is a drug addict and is abusive so I don't want her to ever be even left alone with the kids. Was my ex a good dad for my son and our kids until he got mixed up in an affair, yes. Is the new step mom going to be good for my son and our kids, no and as such she should not be able to have any rights at all, but then I don't think she should have any rights to any child.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 7:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i think step parent who step kids live with them should yes ! or step parents who have there kids at least 2 days a week should
    you see my step kids live with my full time i think i should have rights to fill in form and o stuff like that
    where as my step kids mum dose not see them anymore and whne she did was supreved by a soical worker she is remarried but i dont feel her husband who legal the kids step dad should have rights at all as he dose not even have 1 only night a year with them
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 7:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well I am a step-mom and have 3 children of my own and dealing with a step-mom. I feel honestly there are a fine line on what step-parents should be allowed to do. I raise all 4 teenagers and I am the main person dealing with schools, doctors etc but when I have a step-parent tell me they want the same rights as me I disagree. I don't make any legal decision for my step child and I have to go through my husband for everything. But I feel if a step parent is only the part time parent and not involved on a weekly basis then I feel they should have no RIGHTS..it makes it hard on the child and makes it more complicated for the providers, schools etc.
    heathaof4

Answer by heathaof4 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2011