Cleaning a betta tank

My kids both have Bettas, somehow my daughters tank got unplugged and her filter wasn't on, so now we have some lovely algae that is gracing us with it's presence...Can I do a full water change? The doctors office I used to work at would do this and the fish always died. I plan on letting the water sit for 24 hours, and I have conditioners for it, will it be ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Bettas don't need filters, they are supposed to be in small tanks no bigger than a fish bowl. I just put the fish in a measuring cup once a week and rinse out his bowl, refill it and put him back in.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I let my water set out over night and it's fine. Betas don't need filters or anything. I am wondering why you have the algae, though, we don't get it in ours and we have never used a filter.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Like the others said, bettas don't need filters. I mix my water up in a gallon jug. Just a gallon of tap water and some betta water conditioner is fine. I also add a few grains of aquarium salt, because it reduces the stress on a betta. I let the water sit overnight on the counter to make it the right temperature, then put my fish in a cup, dump the whole bowl, rinse the rocks, replace the water and fish.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have filters in their tanks because I'm not a fish person (their dad bought them the fish) and I don't want to be stuck cleaning fish tanks all the time : ) I think it might just be this tank that has a problem because my daughter used to have a goldfish and it was an issue then too, we're getting a new tank for her birthday though, the one that her brother has we have never had to clean, and it's been probably 9 months or more!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would always use a gallon of bottled water. I would always leave it out so it could be room temp. Never use tap water as it is never the same. Test water and also change gradually as well.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• bettas are pond dwellers so they would b find w/ or w/o filters they would thrive w/ them though get an algie eater or 2 u can get them at pet stores they eat the gunk .
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011