Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do anyone know what the law is in GA on visitation rights for a father if he never married the mother and he sign the kids birth certificate?

My kids father never really wanted to much to do with our kids because he don't want to pay child support and don't pay it unless he has to go to court for comtempt. He told me if I did not drop the child support order, he did not want anything to do with our 3 kids.I used to try to make him be apart of our children life but when I would let them stay overnight at his house, he would try to make one of my sons who was 3 1/2 years old then drink beer or he will leave them in the car by themself when he get out and go in a store. He even would drink and drive with them. When kids are young, they tell everything. Now I will not let my kids stay overnight and I reported all these things to DFCS. Now all of a sudden since I stop bring them up there to his house, he want to have overnight visitation. What rights do I have by law as a mother to protect my kids from their neglectful father?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • To the best of my knowledge there is little he can do at the moment. Currently you have the "upper hand" in the situation. You are not obligated to let your children visit or stay the night in a home that you know to be unsafe. He can threaten, and threaten, and threaten some more. The reality is that he would have to take you to family court to get a legal and secure visitation agreement. That means he would have to hire a lawyer, he would most likely have to either have a review of his current child support payments and there is always the possibility that would go up, and would have to pay the court fees. So I doubt he would take you to court if he doesn't even want to pay child support as it is.

    Answer by frogdawg at 3:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

  • If social services didnt substantiate the abuse then he has the right to every other weekend and sometimes they also give one night a week (like a wed or thurs night) for dinner. He would also be entitled to about a month in the summer and the first right of refusal. That means if you work and send the kids to child care and he wasnt working one of those days he could take the kids for the day rather then send them to daycare.
    If you plan to collect child support then he has every right to visit whether you like it or not. It might suck but thats why its so important to make sure when you have kids with someone that they are good and decent people. Otherwise your stuck with a loser your whole life and so are the kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2008