Banana bread mishap...

I tried to make banana bread, but something has gone very wrong. Maybe my recipe additions were not a good idea. :p

I added a jar of baby food carrots and one of pears. I did it because 1, i really need to get rid of some of this baby food I have stock piled, and 2, usually it turns out kinda dry and I was hoping for an applesauce effect. I also added a few more tablespoons of flour to balance the extra liquid.

What else could I have done? They are falling flat, by the way if that helps. I love to bake, but I have to follow a recipe or else this happens. Boo!

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• If they are falling flat you don't have enough leavening. Next time add a little more baking soda.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• too much moisture, but mix it with vanilla ice cream and have a kind of cake,,, I do this when I screw up chocolate cake,,forgot baking powder,, hopefully it can be salvaged?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Is your baking powder "dead" so to speak?
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It sounds like you just added to much of the baby food.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 6:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Im not sure I suck at making bread!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yeah, it didn't rise at ALL and the center is all doughy. I definitely messed up the ratios somewhere. Leavening makes sense, but I did actually add extra baking powder. I was so looking forward to banana bread. But thanks for the suggestion to add it to ice cream!! It tastes good, it just isn't the right texture... ice cream banana bread sundaes!
    ACL2007

Comment by ACL2007 (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If it's not baked through, you can cube it up and make bread pudding out of it.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like it does need more baking soda and maybe a bit of a warmer oven?
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Baking powder is alive and fizzing. ha ha... but maybe the heat wasn't up enough. I think next time I will just try adding one small jar of baby food and see how that goes.
    ACL2007

Comment by ACL2007 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011