Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do you think if you don't see your child your rights should be terminated? adult content

Do you think if a non custodial parent barely shows up for their court ordered visitations they shouldn't have rights to the child?

Answer Question

Asked by ashleypalomba at 6:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 6 (115 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • The courts dont like to do that unless there is abuse or neglect. Unfortunately, even a card or phone call once a month is considered suitable contact in some states. Call your local bar assoc. or your local college law school to get a free or low cost consultation about what you can & can't do. GL

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

  • If your child means a lot to the almost nonexistant parent and the child really wants to go.

    Answer by sabianmom at 6:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

  • I think parent's rights should be termintated for many reasons. Once a month phone call or 2 minute visit would be one of them.

    Answer by meooma at 6:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

  • kinda because if they don't want to see the child what right should they have when it comes to raising the child?

    Answer by AmandaV. at 8:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

  • She was asking what we thought, not what we know. And yes, I think they should be taken away if you don't show up for court. It shows you're irresponsible and don't really give a crap. My husband's friend is going through the same b/s. His ex left the state with his child (even though legally she wasn't supposed to) and even though he doesn't want to file charges (cause she's a bitch and would find some way to get him back for it) the court is still allowing her rights and is not even arresting her.

    Answer by Imogine at 1:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • I am trying to terminate my ex's rights right now. he calls 6 times a year and that's that. he does nothing to be involved in my sons life and he is a piece of **** with another family. He acts like there is no way he would lgive up rights but since we filled papers and got a court date he hasn't called once. I know if i died suddenly tomorrow i would want my husband (his REAL loving dad) and my sons brother and sister to stay together forever. not be ripped out of his normal life to go stay with a man whose sperm made him and that's about it

    Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • To answer your question. i know this answer all too well. I am a single mom of two children. I have been divorced for 5 years and my ex husband has missed out on his children's lives so many times I have stopped counting. Our divorce papers state that he is to get his children every other weekend, and call them twice a week. Well, he is not consistant with the visits, and the phone calls to the children have stopped over 4 years ago. And I got so mad at him b/c my children was the ones hurting and crying all the time asking me questions that I had no answers to give them. So, I went to one of my court dates, and I asked the judge right in front of their father about can he sign his rights over and I explained the reason why I wanted this done. And the judge told me that the only way I could have his rights taken away was if I was with someone that wanted to adopt my children, and then the judge would make his decision then.

    Answer by Alabamamama06 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.