Pink eye question???

My son has pink eye so does that make me contagious to with being around him or just him?And how long is it contagious? I did not think to ask the doctor these questions silly me. :)

daisydays988

Asked by daisydays988 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Health

• I got this off of a website, From what I know through my CNA course is that the person with pinkeye is most contagious and can spread the infection to others, unless you yourself also have pinkeye then yes, you would be contagious.
    for more reading here's the site: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/801627/Pink_eye_question#answerForm

The leading cause of a red eye is virus infection. Viral pink eye is usually associated with more of a watery discharge, not green or yellow in color, and is frequently associated with viral cold-like symptoms. The eyelids may be swollen. Sometimes looking at bright lights is painful. While viral pink eye, may not require an antibiotic, the doctor should see the child, as occasionally this form of pink eye can be associated with infection of the cornea, (the clear portion of the front of the eyeball). This infection must be correctly detected and treated. Viral pink eye is highly contagious.

Gener4Mom

Answer by Gener4Mom at 6:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Okay,thanks for the info..
    daisydays988

Comment by daisydays988 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You can now buy over the counter drops for pink eye infections. Dont use the same towel or pillow as the person with it or you could get it yourself.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, it is highly contagious. Don't use the over the counter drops, I tried them when my daughter and I had pink eye last year. The doctor will either give antibiotic drops and for you possibly steriod drops and antibiotics to take orally if it is bad enough. Also, don't use the same towel, wash cloth or pillow and wash the pillow case each night. Hope that helps and hope your little one is better quickly.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• A friend of mine's baby just had pink eye about a month ago ~ then in the following weeks, everyone else in their house (household of 4) got it ~ mom, dad, sister everyone. It is contagious. But, it is not the end of the world - just take care of yourself.
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 8:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yep, what they said ^^^ :)
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011