What do you think some of the biggest misconceptions about babies and kids are?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• That you can raise them with no money.
    Anonymous

• That they don't understand what's going on around them. Kids are very perceptive and they are aware of our emotions and much more than we adults give them credit for. They may not understand things on our level, but they certainly understand!!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'd say how everyone freaks out over a new baby and germs, Not that I'm against clean and all lol..but I know people that after they have a baby think it cant leave the house or be held by anyone for weeks after
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Before I became a mom, I had this fairy tale idea of what it would be like. While I had my 1st son for 1 1/2 yrs before my next son was born, parenting didn't seem like work to me. Then came 2 boys, 1 1/2 yrs apart! Two in diapers, 2 boys teaming up, plotting, etc. Agh! No one ever told me I'd lose my sanity! -lol But no one could've prepared me for the total & complete love that I had never experienced before. No one ever tells you that your life as you know it is never the same, and your needs come last. But with all it's ups & downs, I wouldn't trade motherhood for anything else in this world! I have been truly blessed! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think one of the biggest misconceptions is that you cannot be a good mom at 18 -22. I had my first child right after I turned 19. I had graduated from high school almost a year before this, and I kept getting horrid looks from people in public (probably because at now 22, I look like I'm 16 at the most) when I was pregnant. I didn't let this bother me, not even when I was pregnant with my second when my daughter was only 6 months old. My second daughter was born a little over 3 months after I turned 20. So, here I was 20 years old with a 15 month old and a newborn baby. I was determined to be a good parent. It hasn't been easy, but I feel like I have become a great mother to my girls (Makynzie will be 3 in two weeks, and Dallas will be 2 in July). My children have never had to want for anything, and I am actually married to their dad (who is 13 years older than me). So, any mom, regardless of age can be a good one!
    Mrs.KS

Answer by Mrs.KS at 6:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Actually, its 1 year old to 3 years of age...and I'm glad my kids didn't really go through that.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• ok,i stand corrected! :P

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011