Breast feeding?

My daughter is almost a month old now and since about three days old she's been on formula, because I wasn't producing enough milk then. Now I have enough that I think I could feed her, but I'm not sure if I should. Would it be harmful to go from formula back to breast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• absolutely not harmful to switch! My DD was fully breast fed (or breast milk in a bottle) until 7 months then we switched her to half and half formula/breast milk in her bottles and still part time breast fed (I had to work) She was at 9 moths an all formula and still nursing in the morning. Babies do great on both and the more breast milk you can get in her the better. You can use formula as a supplement when you need to and not worry about her being harmed by switching it up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No, it would not be harmful at all!!! She may not take to the breast after being accustomed to the bottle. If this happens, don't get discouraged, you can always pump and feed her from a bottle. And there's always the option of doing both breast milk and formula. Even a little breast milk is better than none at all! In my opinion, there are benefits in using both. Good luck 2 u!

breastfeeding

Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Absolutely not! If you want to say one option is 'more harmful' than another it would be the opposite of what you are thinking. It would be 'more harmful' for baby to have formula (even just some) than to be EBF *when you are able*. Let that baby go to town and reap the benefits!! Congratulations Mom!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I don't think it would hurt anything. Even in the long run I think it would be better :)
    Angela411

Answer by Angela411 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Of course not! Getting her back on the breast might be difficult, but it's definitely worth the effort.
    Anonymous

• No, not dangerous at all! Just be prepared for it to take some time to get your supply back up. You may need to supplement with formula for awhile. Start each feeding at the breast, and when you're "dried up," then give her a bottle for the rest of the feeding. If you do it this way, your supply will eventually catch up. Breast milk is the best thing for your baby, even if you can't exclusively breastfeed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2008