Polenta or Quinoa

...Have you tried either of these things? How do you prepare them? What do they taste like? Do your kids enjoy them?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 6:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Polenta is basically corn meal mush with cheese added. You can serve it out of the pot (or buy it in a roll) or bake it after to make it drier.

4/5 of us love quinoa, or 6 yr hasn't quite decided yet. We like it as a side instead of rice, or like rice pudding. It's also good the next morning with a little milk and fruit - just like I eat oatmeal.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I make Quinoa you cook it just like rice. i would use some chicken stock etc. for more flavour. I also do 50-50 rice & Quinoa thats my favourite and you will love it. Its a good boost of protein.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yes kids eat it! get them used to it now.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Not a fan of polenta but I love quinoa and use it like rice.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh and just thought I'd mention I like farro much more than quinoa!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When I make polenta I make a log roll out of it, and refrigerate it to solidify, then slice off thick pieces and fry in real butter. I dont add cheese to our's. It tastes like corn bread, only moister. Thats the best I can come to describing the taste.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We like quinoa very much here. I use it just like I would in any dish that calls for rice. We're not fans of polenta, but will eat it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I havent had either one but Id love to try them both!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Haven't tried either, but they sound a lot like grits. Are there any health benefits to either?
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I've never had polenta. But, tried quiona about 6 months ago and fell in love with it! I eat it every day, just about. Make a big bath each sunday afternoon and use it all week long. Greek yogurt, quiona and blueberries for breakfast every single day for my 4 yr old. She literally begs for it at snack time too. If VBruno is correct and polenta does taste like cornbread, I would probably love it. I want to try the red quiona but it is 3 times the price of the regular. I have a recipe that calls for red and white quiona and I want to serve it for Fourth of July this year. DH does not like it. He will eat my quiona salad but not by itself and never with yogurt.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011