• In the Spotlight:

Epidural vs natural

Mommy's who have done it both ways give me your opinion. Which would you recommend and why?

bootsky

Asked by bootsky at 6:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• P.S. I have had one child and had an epidural. Now i'm 18 weeks along with #2
    bootsky

Comment by bootsky (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• had 3 kids 3 epidurals.. ALTHOUGH with my frist the machine broke and they couldnt fix it in time so it was pretty much natural. i was telling the doctor to let me have a c-section!!! ..i pushed for 3 minutes with him it hurt so bad!! my other two i pushed for 5minutes and the other was only 2 pushes!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 7:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have tried it both ways, including suffering thru excruciating back labor. (my whole room smelled like icy hot!-lol) Having said that, I did have the epidural w/ my last & was kicking myself for not doing it w/ the 1st 2! No one gets a prize for suffering thru labor. You all get he same "prize" in the end! Obviously it's a very personal choice, but personally, I dont care for pain! GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Natural. I had all 4 this way. Recovery is much quicker and all my babies were very alert and breastfed better from the start. My good friend had a baby the same day I did, 2 hours apart from me. She had an epidural and had a very slow recovery and he baby was so lethargic for weeks. She had a difficult time breastfeeding too because her baby was so sleepy after birth and she had so many side effects of the epidural. I am also very sensative to medication so I was more than happy to have a few hours of minor pain versus days of recovery from bad side effects of pain meds.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 7:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had the epi with my first. I really didn't want it but it did what it was supposed to do.

I had the other 2 kids naturally. I would go natural again if I we weren't done. They came much more quickly, so I don't think there would have been time anyway.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had two natural births and well kinda anyway the first had a shot of nubane. I liked my natural birth but I knew for sure I wanted one. Its your choice! :D
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 7:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It is like night and day, recovery wise there is no comparison....

Answer by older at 7:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had two completely natural deliveries... absolutely no pain killers... but I was mentally prepared from the time I became pregnant... I told myself and everyone that I would accept absoluteno pain killers... and after my first was born, I was up walking around after they stitched me up... I walked myself to the other room that I had to spend the night in. The second was a little easier except that I knew what to expect as far as pain. I actually had an argument with a nurse when in the hospital with my first daughter. The nurse wanted me to sign the epidural form, and I refused... she told me she would come in and be a butt to me if I was in pain and screaming for an epidural while giving birth. After getting myself to theI told her afterwards that she was wrong about me. I have a high pain tolerance, but most people don't. Only you can make the decision of whether or not you are comfortable enough with pain to do without.
    Mrs.KS

Answer by Mrs.KS at 7:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If I were to have another baby, I would completely have the epi scheduled way in advance. I tried natural childbirth and for me it was excruciating and my blood pressure totally soared. I think it is an individual decision and also depending upon the labor situation. Either way, there are pros and cons, it is totally up to you.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have done both and I would recommend doing it natural. I felt like I could read my body better, and had an overall better experience.
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 7:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011