Do you think food storage is important to have?

are you storing food, just in case?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I do because DH is in construction and can get laid off for months at a time (once, he was laid off for 8 months!). I keep a year's supply of food in storage for when this happens. With food taken care of, our limited income during the times he's laid off is able to be put completely toward the bills. However, just because I store extra food doesn't mean it just sits there until it's needed. I rotate my supply of food into our regular meals so that it is always fresh & doesn't have a chance to expire before it can be used. I also only store extra of what my family will actually eat & use, because if we won't eat it, then what's the point of storing it? Buying in bulk & storing extra also happens to save us a lot of money.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I store lots of dried good, and I can (in jars) allot of veggies and fruits. Cant say I do it for emergency's, but I guess in a crisis it would be allot of food. Dried pasta rice and beans do last a really long time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have a stockpile I use to make the best use of sales, and if any power outages, natural disasters, or snow-ins happened, we would be able to make it just fine for a while...but I don't go too extreme with it.

That said, if we couldn't go shopping for a month, we would be just fine...probably a while longer than that! LMAO
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I just threw out a bunch of baking mixes and canned stuff that expired. It's such a waste for us to keep that sort of thing on hand because it just goes bad since we don't really eat it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes! You never know when something could happen and we wont be able to run to the store!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Only to stock up on sale items.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I stock up on certain things - sale items that we use a lot of, mainly. I have a good stockpile of food but it's all for near-future use. I don't stockpile all kinds of stuff for "the future".
    Anonymous

• I stock up on staples but not to keep a huge stock pile - I do it because we live in a rural area and the store isn't close at hand.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Don't have room to store a lot.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011