Need some ideas for a 4-H project, 10 yr old boy please

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 7:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• We need more information. Is he interested in livestock? Farm management? Vegetable gardening? Food & home? Environmental issues like sustainability? What resources do you have available to you for a project?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am thinking more like model building, i would love the ideas you mentioned , last year it was car . he took 1st place so he wants to do the same kind ,
    kileighsmommie

Comment by kileighsmommie (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Here is something I did for VBS that might work as a project for him too--The theme was farming/ranching. A lot of farmers are land poor. That is, their wealth is in the land, not their homes. I did a two room house, the main floor and a loft. On the main floor I showed how someone could live without electricity. I had a fireplace for cooking, a Depression era style ice box for cool food storage, and a well pump at the sink. For a table I used a fold down server desk with shelves. Filled jars were on the shelves along with dishes. I had a hay bale for the seat to the desk table that was set with a tea pot, tea cup and saucer, a plate and a blank book. Outside on the porch was another hay bale for seating. A ladder led up to the loft. I had a plain bed and a short shelf to the side that held folded up cloth to represent clothing or bedding. I also included a miniature oil lamp for the main floor and one for the loft.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 9:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My brother used a jigsaw (with my dad) and made a puzzle. He cut shapes like triangle, circle, square, out of a piece of plywood and then glued it to another uncut piece of plywood. Then he painted the shapes, put wood sealer on everything, thumbtacks in the shapes, and had a puzzle for a toddler.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• There are a few Woodworking projects he can take. If he has not taken woodworking before, he would have to start out at the beginners level and then work his way up throughout the years. The projects teach woodworking safety, techniques and how to use each woodworking tool. The child may then select a project, then build and finish it.

I've always wondered why people assume that 4-H is just about working on a farm, gardening, cooking and sewing. It's not just about that. There are so many more projects out there than those. A person doesn't even have to live on a farm or in the country to be in 4-H.
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 10:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2011