Did any of you have your babys at 34 weeks?

I am on bed rest and meds so hopefully we can keep her in there until term, but I was wondering who has had a premature baby and what was their size and health at birth?

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 7:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had my first son at 35 weeks. He was 4lbs 11 oz...and spent one week in the NICU. I didn't need any drugs or medical procedures...just needed a little more time to develop his lungs and time to maintain his own body temp. He is perfectly healthy and shouldn't have any long term effects from being premature. One piece of advice - make sure you deliver in a hospital that has a NICU...I didn't and we were seperated until I was released. Medical insurance won't pay to transfer the mother...and I had other complications that didn't allow me to be released right away. Being away from him was the worst part of it all. Def talk to your dr about this possibility.
    CSUZANNE813

Answer by CSUZANNE813 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My sister had two born at 36 weeks. He son was 5 pounds even and her daughter was 4 lb. 7 oz. Both spent 10 days in the NICU and both had a little bit of a hard time breastfeeding. Her son had to have oxygen for longer than her daughter did.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had twin girls at 34 weeks 1 day, they were in NICU for 5 days but they were both over 4 pounds and very healthy considering they were preemies and twins. Obviously try to relax and enjoy the downtime and rest, pretty soon you wont have much of that!! :) My son was born at 36 weeks, and weighed 7lbs 7oz. So it was almost a miracle he was born a little early since at that point they gain a pound a week!!

My brother in law had a baby born at 26 weeks, she was is in the NICU for a while, very tiny, you could hold he in your hand and her little legs layed just past your wrist. She never had to have any surgeries though, and now she is perfectly healthy and average size for a kid her age!!!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had my daughter at 1 day before 34 weeks. She was 8 lbs 8 oz at birth. She was in the NICU for just over a week before coming home. She had jaundice, but they took out the feeding tube after a few days, and the oxygen tube from her nose a day before she came home. She was thinner than a full-term baby, but didn't look thin at all by 1 month. She was developmentally normal by 3 months, though she had colic (that was the worst, because it seems to go on forever!)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had my first son at 34 weeks. he was 5 lbs 11 oz and 17 1/4 long... he was a pretty healthy baby although they kept him hooked up to monitors just to make sure. it was scary and we were in the hospital for a few weeks, he is a healthy energetic 4 year old now! good luck!
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 9:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My daughter was born at 23 weeks. She weighed 1.7 pounds & fit in the palm of my hand. She spent 2 1/2 mos in the NICU but was released at 3.14 pounds because she was doing so well. today she's almost 5 years old & other than being small for her age, (she still wears 24 mos) she is perfectly healthy & no one would ever guess she was a preemie.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My niece was born at 31 weeks. She weighed 3 pounds 12 ounces. She was in NICU for 5 weeks. She turned out perfect. Extremely smart and beautiful. At the top of her class. She is 15 now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My cousin had preclampsia(sp?) and she had her son at 32 weeks and he weighed 2lbs 6oz and his head was the size of a lemon. It was so sad to see him like that. He spent 3 months in the hospital and is now a happy healthy 5 yr old :)
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2011