HELP. Where to start saving for college on a budget?

I'm starting to look at college savings plans and it seems that there are just so many options. Different companies, different plans, prepaid set ups with in state schools. Any advice?? I start looking into them and get overwhelmed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Read the fine print really well if you go into any of these plans. And I have read you can do better interest wise by saving in mutual fund money market accounts. Also, a financial advisor I know says to make sure you are saving for retirement before saving for college, all kids should go to state schools (some are excellent), and do it on student loans if they have to.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Gerber!!
    AmandaV.

Answer by AmandaV. at 8:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• what we are doing with ds, 3, he is getting all the pennies and nickels, sometimes bigger coins, and we are storing them in a 3L bottle for now. its about 1\4 full and he's got about $12 so far. when its full, its going to a bank for a savings account and each time it gets full, we'll depost it. as he gets older, he'll get more and more coins for good behavior and things.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• www.upromise.com
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2011