What to do when your child is being bullied????? adult content

my son goes to a small catholic school. this is his first year and he started late in November. its about 9 kids in his class. he also has an I E P. When he first started he told me about a kid that was bothering him. i went to the school and address the issue with the head father who reassured me that it would be taken care of. now about 3 weeks ago come to find out my son is still being made fun of. He was coming home asking if we could move back to MT. POCONO, P.A. but would never say why. and i would tell him things like stop eating so much junk its gonna make you gain more weight and he would say oh you sound like the kids at school. and to top it off he would cry at night. i went to school and ask for a meeting with the children parents and only 1 of the boys parent came. this meeting had no affect on the situation. the kids kept going. i have a 3 yr old also in the same school and they even told my son they would hurt his little brother. today was my third visit to the school meeting with the head father and still nothing has been done. instead the kids play on my sons emotions by saying sorry and blaming it on the other kid just so they wont get in any trouble. my son is so desperate to fit in and be friends that he falls for it so now it just looks like he cant handle the jokes. im so stressed out about it that i start to cry every time i talk about it. i yelled at my son today because he doesn't understand that they are using him so that he wont tell on them but as soon as it blows over they start it all over again. calling him fat and saying he would be cool if he didnt open his mouth. and how he should not talk at all just be invisible. they told him they were going to throw knives at his brothers chest and come to his house and shoot him and leave him dead on the couch. when i told the school about it the kids just lied and said it was my son saying all these things. im at the point of pulling my son out of the school but its already april and only 2 more months to go to school is finish. and why should my son have to be the 1 who has to leave? this is a mess and i dont know how to deal with it. im trying to stay strong so he doesnt feel like there was no point in telling on them because it only gets worst. what to do?

lovelylady1982

Asked by lovelylady1982 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Start bullying the principle.... Or better yet have your lawyer do it :)
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• This is not how the school system is supposed to work, but as a private institution, they can call the shots. As little action as I've read being taken, your best bet is to enroll your son somewhere else for his own mental safety. My brother attended Catholic school until he was 10, then enrolled in public. It may seem daunting, but he will be happier & more advanced in public school or another private school
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 8:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm with Kay, let your lawyer bully the principle
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Another suggestion is consult with the Archdiocese or the bishop for this situation..
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 8:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would go straight up to the father, the teacher, and even the other parents and sit down with them including ur son and have them say how it is making him feel, and u then step up and say if this doesn't stop i am taking my sons out of this school and won't recommend it to any one.
    It is a catholic school, there for the boys that are saying things like knives or guns should get suspended or kicked out. I know in the public school the teachers get in the middle of it, and if things like what u r saying the kids that are saying it would be expelled.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 8:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We recently moved too, my DD was having similar issues. She attends a public school. I became very obnoxious, calling, sending emails, showing up at the school and pointing out that my DD who loved school and was above average (not a genius - just an avid reader) was failing some subjects and hated school. The school had the counselor do sessions in her class on bullying. Bullies were disciplined. Then disciplined again. Then again. It finally ended (for the most part). There were also problems with a safety patrol - that has been taken care of too. Her teacher set up a book club for girls for rainy days - this helped make positive relationships, and the school created a peer group for girls - a lunch club.
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• and why should my son have to be the 1 who has to leave?

Because you want him not to be bullied at school. If your getting this kind of crap from a private school how much worse can public school be?

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Lawyer up!
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 5:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have my son in a private school. I do so because I want him to have a smaller, more intimate, comfortable environment. Any school that could not provide this is something that is not appropriate for my child. Of course I would make the decision to pull him out. I understand you want what is fair and you want for the matter to be resolved. And if would make sense for a school to address it with the students who are causing the harassment. But they are not. They are not protecting your child. I am not about to let my child suffer based on notion of what I think the school should do. Personally I would enroll my child in another small setting as soon as quickly as I could. I would also have him with a personal therapist as well. And if need be, because of the special learning needs, hire additional specialists to work on maximizing his learning potential.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Then I would look at how much damage was done and if I need to pursue anything else with this particular school. But truly no child deserves to stay in a setting where day after day they are being bullied, harassed, and it is impacting their ability to learn and their social/emotional development. Just not cool.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011