Do you think that there is a chance of getting real help here?

Do you think when someone posts a problem here they ever get REAL help?

Granted the information is limited, and they are coming from their own live view.... but do you think that some times a total stranger CAN see the forest through the trees a bit better.

I sometimes read posts and someone will give some REALLY good advice... advice that seems geared towards the BIGGER picture and the original poster is soooo hung up that they dont see the great advice right in front of them and sometimes even bite back at those who DO see the big picture.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• I honestly think 90% of the responses I read on this site come from a place of wanting to give good advice and not just be snarky or rude. A lot of women offer really well thought out and informed advice about so many topics. So I definitely think you can get good advice, perspective and wisdom from the people on this site, it all depends what the person who asked the question does with that though. If you don't want to hear something it doesn't matter how thought out the answer is, it will fall on deaf ears. But overall I think it's a good resource for advice, and to get honest feedback on things.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You need to realize it is all advice - no one (that i have seen) has said you HAVE to do this or it will NEVER work out.....I have received good advice and also just found it a really great sounding board. I know we all have those days when we post a question but really don't want the answer cause we already know the true answer in our hearts.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think it's more of opening your perspectives on things here.
    I don't take every little thing to heart.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I do think it can be helpful, however only the person asking really knows whats going the whole picture . so u have to take everything with a grain of salt
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 8:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I agree with Chloesmom...sometimes you need to hear that you are right, that you are wrong, or just gain perspective. Whether the OP of the question is in the right frame of mind to "hear" the advice, is a different story sometimes, I think.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think a lot of times, mostly in the Relationships section, women are just wanting validation or support rather than actual advice (a lot of times, not all). When a question is presented as, "_____ happened, and I want to do _____ about it. What should I do?" , it's apparent that the choice has already been thought out and decided, so they just want to hear that the majority of un-biased people agree. Which is understandable, sometimes we need that when making hard decisions. In other sections, such as parenting, home & garden, health, etc. questions are typically really searching for an answer. I know I've gotten both support AND actual help on here. It just depends on the question.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011