Do you ever wish

That you could create a new rule on CM that says something like, "Talking badly about yourself and your body is not allowed!"?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in About CafeMom

• That would be nice!
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Amen sister
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• that would pretty much eliminate the majority of questions. a lot of people ask questions for help/guidance in changing certain things they find negative about themselves, be it mentally or physically.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wish it was true for the ladies, definitely...but I also think that they need an outlet for the insecurities, and as women, I think we are a good audience.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wish that were a rule for women in generally. Not to suggest that men don't get down on themselves, but with girls it's just ridiculous. I used to work in a high school and every time I would hear a kid (usually a girl) put herself down, I would, 'charge' her for it. I'd tell her, "That'll cost you X dollars." If I'd actually collected money from those kids, I would be a rich woman. I've always been grateful that my daughter is a very confident little toad.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It depends. I don't want women to have a distorted negative image of themselves, of course. But let's face it--we all have flaws, mentally, behaviorally, physically, and if it's something we have the power to change, then recognizing it for what it is is crucial.

A few years ago, when my "baby" was almost 4, I finally stopped saying I was carrying baby weight, or that I just have a slow metabolism, or that I didn't have time to work out, or that I wasn't really THAT heavy compared to other people...I owned it. I was overweight by quite a bit and when I stopped deceiving myself about it and just faced up to the fact that I was fat because I wasn't willing to do the work to beat, then I was able to do something about it. So I believe that realistically evaluating ourselves--even negatively--is an important part of personal growth.

I'm sure this isn't what you meant, but now that I typed it all out, I'm posting it, darnit.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2011