• In the Spotlight:

im curently 29 weeks and 2 days and my water broke 2 days ago but im not contracting or anything but i am 2-3 centinmeters dilated and wondering when i could go into to labor or when most woman in my shoes woud have their baby?

im 29 weeks , 2-3 centimeters, baby is head down,

alicia_06

Asked by alicia_06 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Your water actually broke? Yeah, you should be in L&D right now. There's a time limit to getting that baby out once your water breaks, or it can cause serious health problems for you and your baby. You might want to head over there now.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• If your water broke you need to get to the hospital NOW your baby is unprotected from any bacteria that travels up your cervix and can cause infection. The umbilical cord can also fall and cause your baby to not get enough oxygen. Go to the hospital NOW!
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• if your water broke they will not let you go. after 24 hours infection can set in and cause serious harm to you and the fetus. given the fact that you are only 29 weeks tehn you will be kept int he hospital supressing labor with antibiotics as long as possible. that baby needs ever day he can get. as a medical scientist i have seen thigngs get bad. it doesnt take long.
    good luck and i wish you a healthy baby.
    5ontherock

Answer by 5ontherock at 11:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Agreed. If your water has broken you should go to the hospital to prevent any infection or complications.
    K_Coleman

Answer by K_Coleman at 11:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Okay, these mamas don't have a clue what they are talking about. I have LIVED your situation. My water broke at 28 weeks (this is called PPROM or premature prerupture of membranes) DO NOT LET THEM INDUCE YOU UNLESS YOU HAVE A FEVER!!!!! You do need to be in the L&D so you can be monitored. Try to make it as far as possible. They will tell you no baths and to be very careful when wiping after you go potty.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You will continue to leak amnio fluid untill you deliver. It is smells bad or looks brown or green tell a nurse. We made it untill 33 weeks and my daughter didn't have ANY problems. Delivering now when there are no signs of infection could mean and VERY underdeveloped baby. Ask for the steroid shot that will help babies lungs develop more quickly. Also, drink pletny of fluids and ask to be on IV fluids if not already. This is what will keep your fluid up. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PM me if you have ANY questions. I have been there mama. It is also SO SO SO importnatn to breastfeed your preemie. AGain, I am so here for you. I understand completely what you ar egoing through.
    navy-wife

• Whoa... these are very different answers up here. I think you should go to L&D too... let your doctor make that choice of wether to stay or go, they may just keep you there. If nothing else, your baby will be safe and they can monitor it. I think it is important to be monitored at 29 weeks..
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You definitely should be at the hospital right now. If your membranes actually burst, yeah, there is a time limit (24-48 hrs), BUT it is also possible for your membranes to reconnect, or form another sac. I can't remember what this is called, but some women's water sac bursts TWICE because they have reformed, or they just have 2. Either way, you will deliver soon, so get your butt to the hopsital girl!! Don't take chances and assume the contractions will come.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2008