Can someone explain this "government shutdown" in laymen's terms?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you have a problem when the gov shuts down for Holidays?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Carpy - What kind of response is that? This potential government shut down scenario has nothing to do with holidays. It has to do with peoples paychecks and their means of surviving and putting food on the table! Last time I checked, holidays are celebrated with food, not lack there of!
    Anonymous

• There is a great article over at The Stir that explains it in simple terms:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/118571/what_a_government_shutdown_means
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 8:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i don't get it either. how would shutting down the govt hurt us? why can't they shut down say social security offices one day, irs another, etc. What I do NOT get is......I go to a fed park (ie yellowstone) ummmmmm 'cuse me I have to PAY to see it! So y shut those down? Same as smithsonian.....y can't the big wigs jusst agree to take a paycut. Heck I am down from 16 hour 2 years ago to 975 today just to have a job to pay for my bills! you tellin me congressmen can't take a 500-1000 year paycut.....okay sorrry i didn't anwer your question......
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm not up on all of it, but I know that unless the bill passes tonight or tomorrow, military members will be working but not getting their paychecks til the budget is passed. :(
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011