If your baby had the cord wrapped around his/her neck, how did you find out?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 8:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's really common so usually unlooping at delivery, or baby just comes out with it wrapped around once or twice.
    Normal.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When they were born (all 3 of mine had it wrapped around- my 3rd one had his wrapped around twice. We think it was because I had excess fluid, and he had a lot more room to move).

It is NOTHING to worry about. It is normal, they will simply unloop it, and that is it!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I saw it when she was born.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It's almost impossible to pull an umbilical cord tight enough to cut off blood flow. It's made out of material that prevents it (Wharton's jelly). One in three babies is born with it, it's very normal. My daughter had the cord around her neck when she was born and it was all good :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The midwife told me as his head was coming out

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My oldest had the cord around her neck 3 times, and they told me as they pulled her out of my c-section incision. It was kinda scary, but she was fine.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My middle son's cord was wrapped around him twice, not specifically his neck but around him. His heart rate would drop during contractions because they were squishing the cord, but it bounced back up nicely after each one. I pushed him out and that's when we found out his cord was wrapped around him. He's now a normal healthy 8 year old.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When his head popped out. Around his neck twice, and around his head around the temples. They thought he wasn't gonna make it. Quite scary.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 8:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You girls are making me feel good. I have a close friend who lost her daughter late in pregnancy because the cord got wrapped around her neck and they didn't catch it in time.
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It was a bit scary for me as well. The dr. saw it during an ultrasound. It was wrapped around her neck and around her ankle. He didn't tell me that part before she was born, he only told me that her heartbeat was becoming irregular (caused by the cord) -- so he induced me a month early. Thankfully, she was/is in perfect health! :-) Small -- but healthy!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011