How many?

How many adults do you think should be in a preschool class room of ten 4-5 yr. olds?

CometGirl

Asked by CometGirl at 8:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In my son's room he has about 12 kids ranging in age from 3 - 5. It is a preschool and kindergarten class in a private school. My son's birthday is in October and is past the cut off point for being in kindergarten. So if we were to do public school, at five, he would still not be allowed to enter kindergarten. For 12 kids there are two and sometimes three certified teachers in the room at any given time depending on the lessons and things going on at the time.  I wanted a small setting where my child could get the individual quality attention at his level and to meet his specific developmental needs.  Compared to I had the opportunity to enroll him in a similar public program, ages 3 - 5, that has 24 kids, one certified teacher, and one teaching assistant. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• IN a preschool room of 3 year olds the ration is 1 adult to 10 kids. I think for 4 year olds it is similiar, but for 5 year olds it goes up a bit.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 2
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• At least for or five.
    Ashley0709

Answer by Ashley0709 at 2:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Legally? Only one teacher is required for 10 children in that age group.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• FYI for infants to 11 months is 1:4. for kids 12 months to 29 months, it's a 1:7 ratio adult to child. for kids 30 months to 5 years old it's 1:10. For School age kids it's 1:20 (I think? not posotive about the school agers . .. )
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• One. When I worked with a PreSchool there were 3 "teachers" and about 30 kids, and half the time at least 1 if not 2 of the "teachers" were in the office watching TV while the other one did an activity with the kids. Once they start school there is one teacher to 30 kids, why would there need to be more for preschoolers?

And when did 5 ever qualify for preschool? They should be in Kindergarten at that point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• ONE certified adult can handle that on her own. The legal ratio is uaully 10:1. Usually a pre school classroom has 2 adults anyway.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2011