How long do you wait to start dating after a divorce?

I am going thru a divorce from my husband of the last 7 years. I feel that we haven't been happy the last 3 years or so. I want to move on but I am not sure how long i should wait?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Relationships

• Psychologically speaking it is suggested the you spend a year alone for every year you were married. No one does that though. I think its ok to date but dont get serious with anyone until your stable on your own. You need to get into a routine with your kids and figure out what you want out of life before moving onto a new man. I would also not introduce the kids to any man you do date until you have been seeing each other for a good amount of time. Its very confusing to kids and when things dont work out they are emotionally affected more then we are sometimes. Just take some time for yourself, and like I said go ahead and date but dont g et serious with anyone right away. You will know when youre ready.

Answer by gemgem at 10:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You should fill your time with friends, male and female; however, it's true what the above poster said it's best to give yourself a year before forming a serious relationship that you want to last.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I agree with both pp's. Surround your self with family and friends and try to give yourself time. When the time is right you'll know.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Dating is one thing, but be careful of rebound relationships. Instead of thinking about dating, why not take this time to rediscover yourself, make new friends (male and female) and allow life to happen naturally. 3 years of unhappiness is alot to let go of..and it will take some time. I know this because I see divorce in my future, and when I think about it, I haven't really spent anytime for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i'd say wait for at least a few months i rushed into a relationship even b4 my divorce is finalized and im regretting it big time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I think it depends on the situation. My first marriage was abusive, and I'd been looking for a way out for several years when an old friendship turned to love. He got me out, and we were married just over a month after my divorce was final. It's been over a year now, and we're still happy.

Wait if that's what your gut is telling you to do. Me? I already knew I was going to marry this man before I left my ex, and I don't consider it rebound. I love him more than I ever did my ex, and I have no regrets.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2008