Atheists not anti-religion?

We now know where some of our posters get their quotes.

Who knew there was a place for Atheists to post their favorite anti-religion quotes? I guess this is what they mean by freethinking. Go figure.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/freethinking_anonymous/3515

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• (quote: Anonymous) "I guess this is what they mean by freethinking."
    ---------------

Actually, this is what we mean by the term Freethinker:
    One who forms opinions on the basis of reason independently of authority; especially : one who doubts or denies religious dogma

Would it now be appropriate to post links to all the different religious dogma sites that slam non-believers, or would that be "wrong" since, after all, it is the "Word of GOD", and not just the opinions of individuals thinking independently?

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 9:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Funny, I'm Atheist and I've never heard of that sight. I guess not all of us fit into the "anti-religious" stereotype youre' trying to peg all atheists with. You're just showing yourself to be as bad as those you complain about. Please find a new hobby .
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• To say that all Atheists are anti-religious would be the same thing as saying all Christians are Bible-thumping, ignorant sheep. Yes, there are definitely Atheists who are very, very anti-religious, and some who are strongly anti-Christian in particular. However, most are not that way. Even here on CM, the ones who respond negatively and have an anti-religious tone to their answers, usually act out that way because they are provoked.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I've never seen that site before! Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention! At a glance, there are many quotes I've never seen before and many quotes that can be found numerous other places.

You do realize that many atheists are not necessarily anti-religious. Also...there are several types of non-theism, including some views within several world religions with MILLIONS of people. I consider myself a free-thinker, as I question everything, judge something to be true only if it holds up to reason and is good for all, and generally don't believe anything simply because it is written or because it's dogma. I don't care if it's on the site above, in the Bible, in a Buddhist Sutra, in the Dhammapada, in the Bhagavad Gita, in the Tao Te Ching, or anywhere else, I will still evaluate it based on logic and my own experience before I decide it is true.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We are not all that way. My major was world religions and I have great respect for them. However, Atheists get bashed by others all the time. I suppose it happens to us all.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That's an interesting blog spot, Anon. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! I doubt I'll join, though, and it seems that joining is the best way to participate in the forums and read the articles. It seems to be a very fairly mild site, focusing on friendly debate regarding theism vs. atheism. Do you have a problem with that, Anon?

It's really funny that you would think that those of us who tend toward Atheism would have to have a site like that to shape our views and put words in our mouths.  I can honestly say that five minutes ago was the first time I'd ever laid eyes on it.  I am a free-thinker.  Does that disappoint you?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Not all Atheists are anti-religion, but some are. There are both types of Atheists on this site, actually. There are different types of people who belong to all belief systems.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• A website for atheists, so what?  

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Never heard of the site, and honestly have yet to be told I am anti religion. Just because I do not follow a god does not mean I am disrespectful to those that do.

So OP how anti Atheist are you that you have to run around the web looking for these sites just to prove you are right for hating us all?

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I meant "anti-religion" not "anti-religious", if that makes any difference.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011